Another suicide at Tulsa Firearms?? WTF??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read the Tulsa world this morning and it had an article saying a man from Kansas came in and tried to buy a pistol, They told him he couldn't buy one being from another state so he rented one went into the range and waited for everyone to leave then killed himself? What is wrong with people to do that in a public place? I have no love loss at all for tulsa firearms but that is messed up for everyone. The paper said that was the 4th time someone has done that there??

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah sounds about right on the 4th time. If somebody wants to off themselves they will find a way to do it. Be it gun or whatnot. Bad deal though

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excerpt from the Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111003_11_0_AKansa119868&r=8247

A Kansas man shot and killed himself at a Tulsa indoor gun range Monday.

The 35-year-old man had attempted to purchase a gun at Tulsa Firearms, 5949 S. Garnett Road, but after employees informed him of Oklahoma’s gun laws, he rented a gun, instead, police officers at the scene said.

The man waited until other people who were using the range had left before shooting himself in the head shortly after 4 p.m., police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The apparent suicide is not the first at the range.

Another man killed himself with a gun he had rented at Tulsa Firearms in September 2009. A woman shot herself in the head there in February 2000, and another woman committed suicide at the range in June 1996.

Sad. It would appear that TF is garnering a reputation for being the place to go to off one's self. But, four suicides in 15 years - is that unusual as far as indoor ranges go?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excerpt from the Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111003_11_0_AKansa119868&r=8247

Sad. It would appear that TF is garnering a reputation for being the place to go to off one's self. But, four suicides in 15 years - is that unusual as far as indoor ranges go?

I wondered the same thing myself. I'll bet it's more common than we think.

I just hope that this isn't going to cause some additional law that will help save us from ourselves. I can hear the politicians now dreaming up background checks prior to renting guns.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never heard of this before but I just googled "suicide gun range" and apparently it happens all the time. There is even footage of a mother killing her son and then herself. I didn't watch it. One range had 3 suicides in 4 months, another 3 in six months, another has had 7 suicides, another had 5 in 14 months. One range changed their policy and will not rent to people who come in alone since all of their shooters had come in alone.

Last edited:

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its pretty bad. I was on a range and almost saw a negligent accidental suicide.

Guy with a 9MM ruger or some sort had a jam and was pulling back and forth on the slide while looking down the barrel... sigh.

I didn't see it until I stepped out of my line to reload and I dropped my jaw before quickly stepping over and stopping the madness.

Sure enough, I pointed it down range, dropped the mag out, and jiggled the slide and the bullet chambers and fired...

close call.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its pretty bad. I was on a range and almost saw a negligent accidental suicide.

Guy with a 9MM ruger or some sort had a jam and was pulling back and forth on the slide while looking down the barrel... sigh.

I didn't see it until I stepped out of my line to reload and I dropped my jaw before quickly stepping over and stopping the madness.

Sure enough, I pointed it down range, dropped the mag out, and jiggled the slide and the bullet chambers and fired...

close call.

People are nothing if not ignorant, I don't know how many people I have seen pickup firearms at say Academy or Bass Pro and "look them over" by staring down the barrel, I understand people "think" it's not loaded but how do you know? The only way I'm looking down the barrel of a firearm is if the barrel is removed from the action.

Latest posts

Top Bottom