Any Colt Single Action Army (1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen) Love Around Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love SAA revolvers. I have a 1st Gen .32 WCF supposedly made in 1902. I was told by a friend who has several SAA that I should save my money on the latter as more than likely it was sent to Simmons. I also have a USFA BP framed CCH/Blued by Doug Turnbull in 45 Colt-with ivory grips from a former grip maker for Colt. When I get back to Oklahoma I’ll have to take some pics and add to the thread.

Ps
I would like a 5 1/2” nickel in .357 mag and some stag grips😀

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several Colt SAA's including this one in 38 WCF. Made in 1995 by the Colt custom shop. It is very accurate. I have several New Frontiers which are my favorites.

View attachment 517824
That is a beautiful gun. Take care with nickeled guns to never use any gun cleaner which attacks copper fouling, as nickeled guns historically used copper as a basecoat to which the nickel will adhere, and nickel is a porous plating, with the solvent able to attack the copper. I formerly used, and advised using, white kerosene for cleaning nickeled guns, but that has become hard to find, as now many stove fuels sold at chain stores turn out to be Stoddard solvent or other substances when MSDS consulted, so check on contents and those contents effects on copper or nickel of any considered cleaner for nickeled guns.

Last edited:

Tall

Marksman
Reaction score
That is a beautiful gun. Take care with nickeled guns to never use any gun cleaner which attacks copper fouling, as nickeled guns historically used copper as a basecoat to which the nickel will adhere, and nickel is a porous plating, with the solvent able to attack the copper. I formerly used, and advised using, white kerosene for cleaning nickeled guns, but that has become hard to find, as now many stove fuels sold at chain stores turn out to be Stoddard solvent or other substances when MSDS consulted, so check on contents of any considered cleaner for nickeled guns.
I think that story is BS. I have used nothing but Hoppes #9 to clean my Model 19 since I bought it new in 1981. When can I expect the finish to fall off?

Attachments

• aug 19 Model 19 a.jpg
    aug 19 Model 19 a.jpg
    84.8 KB

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love SAA revolvers. I have a 1st Gen .32 WCF supposedly made in 1902. I was told by a friend who has several SAA that I should save my money on the latter as more than likely it was sent to Simmons. I also have a USFA BP framed CCH/Blued by Doug Turnbull in 45 Colt-with ivory grips from a former grip maker for Colt. When I get back to Oklahoma I’ll have to take some pics and add to the thread.

Ps
I would like a 5 1/2” nickel in .357 mag and some stag grips😀
Simmons in MO for sure handled a lot of Colts. As for folk getting into old Colts, I'd advise caution as folk have been modifying and/or repairing them for as long as the guns have been around, Christy Gun Works of Sacramento famous for conversions and own parts manufacture from the 1930s or 40s into the 1960s, their work much touted by folk like Elmer Keith, and them going from redhead stepchild in the collector world to own niche in collections today.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that story is BS. I have used nothing but Hoppes #9 to clean my Model 19 since I bought it new in 1981. When can I expect the finish to fall off?
I did not mention a name brand, and Hoppes has changed its formulations many times over the years in any case. You use what you want to use, including straight ammonia on a SAA, as it's your gun. I only advised caution on cleaner choice on collectible Colts and to check for known copper solvents, which solvents known to cause loss of nickel. Not to encourage the use of Hoppes, but it has not been very effective on jacket fouling for a very long time.

Last edited:

Tall

Marksman
Reaction score
I did not mention a name brand, and Hoppes has changed its formulations many times over the years in any case. You use what you want to use, including straight ammonia on a SAA, as it's your gun. I only advised caution on cleaner choice on collectible Colts and to check for known copper solvents, which solvents known to cause loss of nickel. Not to encourage the use of Hoppes, but it has not been very effective on jacket fouling for a very long time.
I think you are very confused. There is no copper involved in the plating of any firearm. Even the cheapest H&R or Iver Johnson is just polished and the nickel plating is applied directly onto the polished steel.

Perhaps you are confused by the process used to rechrome automotive bumpers? Those are copper plated first to fill in the pits - a time saving process that has no relation to how firearms are plated.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are very confused. There is no copper involved in the plating of any firearm. Even the cheapest H&R or Iver Johnson is just polished and the nickel plating is applied directly onto the polished steel.

Perhaps you are confused by the process used to rechrome automotive bumpers? Those are copper plated first to fill in the pits - a time saving process that has no relation to how firearms are plated.
I have seen copper base coat on flaking nickel on firearms quite a few times, including Colts and no few through the years have said the same as I, and my attitude has always been better safe than sorry when it comes to valuable firearms, of which Colts surely are. Taking my advice will surely cause no harm, if it turns out myself and many others have been wrong all this time regarding Colt care.
Here is a typical thread on the subject, and you can see copper used and apparently not-used.
And why take a chance when other options exist?

Last edited:

Tall

Marksman
Reaction score
I have seen copper base coat on flaking nickel on firearms quite a few times, including Colts and no few through the years have said the same as I, and my attitude has always been better safe than sorry when it comes to valuable firearms, of which Colts surely are. Taking my advice will surely cause no harm, if it turns out myself and many others have been wrong all this time regarding Colt care.
Here is a typical thread on the subject, and you can see copper used and apparently not-used.
And why take a chance when other options exist?
You are a very confused individual for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom