Any Preppers Resolutions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im really gonna get serious about my garden. WEATHER PERMITTING.

Im going to do a smaller area with less variety. Tomato, peppers, and stuff for wife.

And im going to do a big area just for water melons and potatoes.

Thats my goals anyway.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy, you are on fire with the serous threads these days ... Not having taters musta really traumatized you! :wink2:

I'm putting edible landscaping in the front yard. Fig trees, rose bushes (for the petals and hips to make jellies and tea) and some blackberry bushes. None of it will produce this year but it won't produce 3 or 4 years from now either if I don't git her done.

Back yard will stay the same except I'm gonna do some vertical gardening on that north fence. There's too much good sunlight there going to waste.

Want a few more chickens. Gonna get rabbits (again) ... and I'm still finagilin' for those dwarf goats ... I'd like get a little greenhouse too -- for some winter gardening and to keep some tilapia in ... Just to see if I can ...

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck. I'm thinking of going big this year. I have 3 very large tanks for bait minnows, I'm thinking of using the waste water to water the garden, still in the planning stages.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck. I'm thinking of going big this year. I have 3 very large tanks for bait minnows, I'm thinking of using the waste water to water the garden, still in the planning stages.

My mom had a pet shop back in the 70s. She watered her bazillon house plants with water from the fish tanks. She had a friggin' JUNGLE growing in that pet shop ... I think you will be really, really pleased with your plants if you use that fishwater to water the garden.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom had a pet shop back in the 70s. She watered her bazillon house plants with water from the fish tanks. She had a friggin' JUNGLE growing in that pet shop ... I think you will be really, really pleased with your plants if you use that fishwater to water the garden.

I am glad to hear this. I didn't know if the waste water would help or create some health issues. If I start acting normal from eating the food produced I will know something is wrong.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would like to try a garden again, but this drought doesn't look like its gonna cooperate and i haven't seen any indicators that it will any time soon. so, probably just stay in this holding pattern till something changes.

Rook

Marksman
Reaction score
I'd like get a little greenhouse too -- for some winter gardening and to keep some tilapia in ... Just to see if I can ...

I am glad to hear this. I didn't know if the waste water would help or create some health issues. If I start acting normal from eating the food produced I will know something is wrong.
s7.postimage.org_uahuv3h9n_22799541833134792_xgjx_F8_HN_c.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYR9s6chrI0

I'm thinking about making one of these this year- http://www.kijanigrows.com/building-a-low-cost-aquaponic-garden/

Fish + produce grown side by side with minimal water use. The only problem I see with it for prepping is it's kind of complex compared to just planting seeds in the ground. Complex systems have more potential for breakdown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom