Any RC advice???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I have run both electric Helicopters and Nitro Trucks....they are an expensive hobby for the decent parts.

Get with your local hobby shop and see what brands/models they are supporting and will be supporting in the future. Nothing is worse than waiting and paying for shipping on a small part you have to have to run it. I recommend working with electric first, nitro fuel goes bad, the nitro eats the fuel lines, the engine requires constant tuning, and is messy as the oil blows out the exhaust and all over the truck at times. Also on nitro, it has to be tuned cold for first runs, and as the level in the fuel tank drops, the tune gets changed, and they have to be tuned every time you run it, I believe there is two valves that need constant watch, I sucked at it!

I think you will be fine with a TRAXXAS electric truck or carpet racer for beginners. A good starter is the kits that are ready to run, but you may need a battery purchase. budgets aroud $200-400.00

tdonily

New to the site!
Reaction score
Having run RC for over two and a half decades, I would agree with what several have already said above.

Start with electric, as learning to tune the engine on top of everything else just adds to the frustration.

And pick a brand that has readily available parts. It's rough waiting on parts to arrive, and it's not a matter of IF they will break, but WHEN.

I have personally had vehicles from Traxxas, HPI, Losi & Associated. And my kids' primary vehicles are from Traxxas. Which I would highly recommend for getting started. Many parts of the Slash, Rustler, Stampede & Bandit are common (suspension/drivetrain esp). And with some investment could be converted from one to another (my kids started with Stampedes and are now using Rustlers with Stampede tires).

Other than a decent charger, invest in a LOT of batteries. While lithium are all the rage, they can be picky, and disastrous when things go bad. Nickel-metalhydride would be a good place to start.

Good luck with your endeavor. It's addicting!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read a lot of similar advice on RC forums regarding parts that break. I may get him a spare battery and some spare parts since she's getting him the car.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the answer to your nitro question is....It is not nitroglycerine, it is a nitromethane mix (like drag cars use only not as much nitro).

Cool, I'll have to gogle it and read up.

Only now did I noticed that I typed nitroglycerine and not nitrous oxide. :nolike:

Thanks again for the explanation regarding nitromethane, I'd honestly never even heard of the stuff before.

And I "googled" nitromethane - not sure what "gogle" is.

Cdrspoon

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned several Traxxas Electric trucks and as everyone else has said extra parts is a must and you will discover very quickly which parts break first. Good charger is a must and good batteries. But they come at a price. The OEM steering servos on lower end models have plastic gears and get stripped very easily. I recommend JR racing servos as they are metal gear and built like a tank. I have hit a curb at full speed and the servo was fine but the front end was damaged =p Definately can become an addicting and expensive hobby....

cj599

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
traxxas is junk get a hpi, team losi, or ofna, unless u wanna buy parts every time he drives it ive been into rc for 10+ years and I love my nitro toys but as said above get a brushless

Cdrspoon

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
regardless of who makes it you will need to buy parts and it WILL break. Otherwise the hobby shops would be out of business if they sold a car/truck that didnt break when you crash it ;) I have to agree on the brushless system if they are going to get serious into RC... it is maintenance free and the speed is only limited to the $$ you want to put into it =) Nitro is fast but brushless is faster and not a PITA like I have seen out of nitro's. And BTW nitros still require batteries and a charger =p Servos dont run off of fuel =p

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
traxxas is junk get a hpi, team losi, or ofna, unless u wanna buy parts every time he drives it ive been into rc for 10+ years and I love my nitro toys but as said above get a brushless

Lol, 10+ years, damn noob.

Traxxas is a great company to start with. Very durable, and you can get parts everywhere. I have had Losi, HPI, Associated, and Venom. I bought my nephew a Traxxas 2 years ago for Christmas and it's still running. I currently have a 1/16 Traxxas eRevo (brushless) and can't tell you how impressed I am with it's durability.

Been running RC cars since 1986. If you're going to race competitively, get an HPI, Losi, or Associated. If you're just bashing (like 90% of people), you can't go wrong with Traxxas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom