Any square foot gardners here....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starting the square foot garden this season...any tips? Advice?

I purchased Mels book about it, good read.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got Mel's newest edition of SFG. Had a SFG at my previous house years ago. Now that I'm back in a house again I'll be putting in a couple of 4x4 beds this spring for starters having been away from gardening for nearly ten years.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I start out in the spring as a square foot gardener, usually end up as a overgrown chaos gardener by the fall!

I'm going to redo my beds (one is 10x5 feet, too big to reach across!), try to make a calender up for this year and see if I can't do better.

O

OzzieBlue

I start out in the spring as a square foot gardener, usually end up as a overgrown chaos gardener by the fall!

LOL...Me TOO!!

We have bermuda grass and chickweed and (insert names of every known noxious weed here)...and it is almost impossible to keep the garden under control. Always start the year with good intentions, but by midsummer we have to use a machete to hack our way through to the tomatoes...SIGH!!!

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to try SFG this year. I've started a blog to post pics and keep track of my progress. I am not following the instructions exactly, but little changes here and there. I am also posting about a few other things like composting and beer making. Sign up to follow my blog if your interested. http://http://mikesgardenattempt.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're planning a square foot garden this year. Been out scrounging old water troughs from some of the local farmers. All are rusty on the bottoms and should drain pretty well. Will fill with layers of old straw, topsoil and well composted horse and cattle manure.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have an L shaped garden, of about 300 sq. ft, and a small planting area in front of my house as well. I grow mainly squash, zucchini and cucumbers, as well as a few other things. I always get way more than we can eat, and that's with 5 kids. Hoping to preserve more of it this year so I can save money year round. The SFG thing looks neat, but I think I get better yields for the plants I am doing by just going traditional. My little garden gets crammed with stuff and I end up picking more every other day than we could eat in a week.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the folks at work hate to see me coming with boxes of stuff during harvest season.(Get over it people, its free food!) I'm still getting turnips from last fall planting. the ground has never frozed to the point that it will kill them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom