Anyone get GOUT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never been diagnosed but always wondered, is that what causes my big toe to randomly feel like someone's holding a hot poker to the top of it?

Most likely yes; get a uric acid blood test.

I just try and keep my body flushed with water, I have attacks every once in a while for the last 20 years, it sucks. I usually can feel it coming on and try to keep my foot elevated and watch what I eat and just drink water for a week or so and usually just have a 3 or 4 on the pain scale which I can live with. My main downfall is Soda pop and of course red meat, I work on my feet all day so I really hate having it. On a normal day I drink between 2 to 4 gallons of water and I think that is what helps me the most.

I drink only water, tea & coffee...gave up pop about 5yrs ago...I do get the 2-4 pain scale attacks but some of these have almost brought tears if the foot is jarred or moved wrong...the bad ones really hinder progress in life for me but the few minor attacks are bearable.

I've had bouts for several yrs but an allopurinol daily has taken care of it.

Yeah, it worked well for me too back when I took it; I may have to go back to it but I'm trying to find a "hack" to prevent it. When I read all the nasty side effects, I decided it will be a last resort and I'm 90% there towards that last resort after 6 yrs off that drug. I got a supplement today called GOUCH! that I'm going to try both at the therapeutic dose & then daily maintenance dose after the gout is gone again. I also go some lemons & aluminum-free baking soda to try for a week or so too.

My mother suffers from it from time to time. Does that mean we will too some day? I eat a pretty clean diet and drink tons of water w/sliced lemons.

It does have a genetic component; my dad got it but didn't get a bad attack until he was in his 50's. I'd say you are "more at risk" but diet can determine the risk too so you are not destined to get it. I just worry about if SHTF and I'm eating 80% meat for awhile LOL...

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allopurinol has kept me in good shape for years.

I have had flair ups that the wind from the ceiling fan blowing on my foot would make me cry.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I have done twice since yesterday a warm glass of water with about 3/4tsp baking soda & the juice of 1 large lemon, as well as started a supplement called GOUCH!. I've have a 75% improvement in less than 24hrs. Whether or not I have to go back to Allopurinol remains to be seen. A guy at work told me he takes it but only when his uric acid level is too high; said his doctor checks his every 6 months and has him take it in cycles so he has less chance of side effects but still stays gout free...seems like a hassle but it is a conservative approach which I like.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any fructose in the diet? Particularly high fructose corn syrup? That will flare up gout more than just about anything else I've come across in my office. Big fan of proteolytic enzymes as well as raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar as well.

Doc, this is probably one of the best articles on gout I've come across, it gets better as you read it and it does validate your position...even some of the comments say people ate meat but did low carb/sugar and it wasn't the purines in meat that caused the gout...perhaps that is why a no-meat diet with more carbs have allowed another flare-up when I expected it to stop it. Thanks again.

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/got-gout-but-love-meat/

Latest posts

Top Bottom