Anyone here throw darts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hadnt played in a while, but threw some darts last night at the bar. Never really played, but it I am pretty good. Wife thinks we need a dart board for the house, which is fine by me. So any of you guys play? Any boards or darts ya'll recommend? Never really played more than bar play but think this would be a nice cold weather hobby.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I play. Just placed second last night in a friendly tournament at the bar, only barely losing to my youngest brother. Playing cut throat Cricket.

It's hard to find a good bar that has steel tip darts. So, like most everyone else, the bar I frequent has an electronic cabinet. I play with a set of Halex Impact 6's (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOBYLU...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000FOBYLU).

The bar was just bought out by one of the regulars who wants to start official dart tournaments soon. It's a beer only bar, but if you're interested in playing, I'll holler if the idea takes off.

Here's the type of board we play on:
[Broken External Image]

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to throw quite a bit.

I hate the electronic versions of the games. Nothing beats metal tip darts and a good bristle board.

I started out throwing the heaviest darts I could find. I thought that the sound of them thunking into the board bothered the other team. Problem was, the heavier the darts, the wider the barrels, the harder it was to place two, let alone three darts in the double or triple rings.

Learn with relatively lighter thin barreled darts. Makes a ton eighty alot easier!! Not that it is easy to begin with.

Dave

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love darts although I haven't played too much lately.

We used to play them quite a bit out on excercises in whatever spare time came around. Had to give poker and spades a break every now and then.

OH... and I have something for you fellas too. MIGHTY PEN darts in both metal tip and electronic tip are currently in the works with custom weight available too. :)

BDSolutionsArdmore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love darts although I haven't played too much lately.

We used to play them quite a bit out on excercises in whatever spare time came around. Had to give poker and spades a break every now and then.

OH... and I have something for you fellas too. MIGHTY PEN darts in both metal tip and electronic tip are currently in the works with custom weight available too. :)

HMFIC, are you serious about this?? If so you have to email me when you get them rolling.

OP, I throw plactic and steel tip both. If I had a choice I would only throw steel tip. As it was said before a lot of bars only have electronic boards. IF your looking for something at your house I would reccommend going with a steel tip set-up.

BDSolutionsArdmore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pool and darts kinda go hand in hand. I started playing pool when I was around 13 working in a bowling alley. Didn't start throwing darts till I was old enough to go to bars to play pool then got interested in darts.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pool and darts kinda go hand in hand. I started playing pool when I was around 13 working in a bowling alley. Didn't start throwing darts till I was old enough to go to bars to play pool then got interested in darts.

I kind of did the same thing, there used to be a place at 21st and garnett that rented tables for 2 bucks an hour. Loved pool.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC, are you serious about this?? If so you have to email me when you get them rolling.

OP, I throw plactic and steel tip both. If I had a choice I would only throw steel tip. As it was said before a lot of bars only have electronic boards. IF your looking for something at your house I would reccommend going with a steel tip set-up.

Yup. 100%

I hoping to use .223/5.56 cases for barrels and that will make the barrel 1-3/4" long. I could go shorter with a 7.62x39 case or longer with .308. Don't want to make them too fat though. I'm still trying to decide what's going to work the best and fit seamlessly with my setup. They'll have standard size threads for replacement dart tips and shafts you want to change them out for others. I'll be able to very the weight inside the case and could also change the point of balance if someone wanted a set that was fully customized that way. For the normal setup, I'll probably just put the weight all forward and make them somewhere between 15 to 20 grams.

I'm open to suggestions too!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. 100%

I hoping to use .223/5.56 cases for barrels and that will make the barrel 1-3/4" long. I could go shorter with a 7.62x39 case or longer with .308. Don't want to make them too fat though. I'm still trying to decide what's going to work the best and fit seamlessly with my setup. They'll have standard size threads for replacement dart tips and shafts you want to change them out for others. I'll be able to very the weight inside the case and could also change the point of balance if someone wanted a set that was fully customized that way. For the normal setup, I'll probably just put the weight all forward and make them somewhere between 15 to 20 grams.

I'm open to suggestions too!

Are you planning on doing soft tip only, steel tip only, or both? Usually soft tips range between 14-18g (16g being typical and recommended for legal tournaments) and steel tips 18-30. I'm not sure what weight steel tippers prefer to play with, but I think I would prefer something around 22-24g.

Not sure if that helps you pick a suitable caliber or just complicates things. What about .38 spc or .357 magnum?

Latest posts

Top Bottom