Anything I need to be aware of driving from Oklahoma City to New Orleans??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going on vacation to the big easy for new years and we're driving. I have a CCW permit and have checked the forums and it appears that texas and louisiana both honor the oklahoma permit. Probably won't carry much while actually in new orleans due to the fact that i like to drink, but will have it in the car for the trip. Any good or bad experiences by anyone? Any tips or things anyone else has learned that i should be aware of?

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read up on TX and LA CC rules. There are differences in each state. Don't forget to look up pocket knife rules as well.
Beyond that, watch your ass if outside the tourist district of NOLA. There's no shortage of thugs and thieves.
Might want to take a lockable container to store your pistol in when away from it. Academy has key lock boxes with security cables for $16.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to tell you a joke I heard about the difference between a person that lives in eastern Texas and a person that lives in Louisiana but it would most likey get me banned for an ethnic slur. The punch line is "The Sabine River."

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas can be pretty strict on keeping your gun concealed. Louisiana is an open carry state.

While LA is technically "open carry", it's not very open carry friendly, and you will probably wind up being harassed. I would not recommend OCing in LA unless you have an attorney on retainer.

Both TX and LA allow you to carry in your car without a CCL.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on watching where you go in N.O., used to be really bad down there. And yes, those HiPo's are bad down there, remember most state highways (2 lane) are 55 mph. Pretty hard for me when I go back home since I'm used to 65-70 now.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I will be most likely not CCing in the french quarter since i will be drinking, but was mostly curious in case I get stopped en route.

Latest posts

Top Bottom