Application Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamjar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying for my concealed carry. One item that has me concerned is Section 1290.10 bullet
5e says a license should be denied if "any conviction related to illegal drug
use or possession"

Here is my dilemna - when I was 16 (almost 15 yrs ago) I got a ticket for possession of marijuana. I was not arrested, nor do I recall having any fingerprints done. My sentence was 5 hours of community service and classes at OJA. My understanding at the time was essentially that it was over and no one would ever know it happened. I don't know if the records were "expunged" or if I didn't have all the information.

I'm trying to get any documents I can from my parents to see what the specifics were. I'm not sure if it was an actual conviction or not.

My understanding is that if it was "expunged" I wouldn't mention it on my form.

I don't want to not mention something and it show up. Nor do I want to mention something that would never be found out. Nor do I want to waste the money on it, if the answer is for sure "no".

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions on this?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any guidance

You are required to answer each question completely and accurately.
For background checks, sealed juvenile and expunged exempt nothing: list them.

A false or incomplete application is instant rejection if/when they find the omitted info. And they keep your money.

jamjar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are required to answer each question completely and accurately.
For background checks, sealed juvenile and expunged exempt nothing: list them.

A false or incomplete application is instant rejection if/when they find the omitted info. And they keep your money.

Would the juvenile offensive automatically reject me from getting the license?

jamjar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents have found the records from this incident and they do not show any documentation of formal charges. The paperwork my mom has says "referral to first offender program without intake". That makes me think there wasn't an actual charge.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd just about bet that there's a record of your offense.
List it. I'm not sure if it would exempt you.
But if you don't list it, then you could have a whole other headache.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The paperwork my mom has says "referral to first offender program without intake

IMHO, you should list it AND send a copy of the paperwork to show the dispositiion. Of the hundreds of people of whom I have direct knowlege, only one was rejected because of his record, but all who "left a little something out" got rejected. You can talk to OSBI before you send it if you wish.
Think about it, if they know you're a liar and wonder what else you're hiding, what would you expect from them if you try to hide it? And you would be astounded how many old arrest reords are floating around that don't show the disposition.

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a link to the heartland outdoors syllabus for their concealed class.

http://heartlandoutdoorsok.com/class_doc2.pdf

Under the heading "Persons who may not obtain a SDA permit"

13. Any conviction relating to illegal drug use or drug possession

Next paragraph under the heading "Temporary preclusions"

13. Any Violation relating to illegal drug use or possession 3 years from conclusion

This is clearly not the end all be all and by definitely not legal advice. However, from my interpretation, if you were not convicted then you should be o.k. since it is well over three years. Again, this is in now way legal advice and you should not bet your time and money on it, better call to be sure.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/SDA_FAQs.html

I used this a guidance when I submitted my application. I have had speeding tickets in the past but didn't list them. Now i'm a little bit worried but I don't think it will matter. I guess I will find out soon enough.

I did the same. I on average have probably had a speeding ticket once every 2 years since I turned 16. I sure can't keep track of them. That would also include tickets in 2 or 3 states and numerous Oklahoma counties.

At first I was going to include every ticket that I could dig up information on through oscn.net and others. Then I thought I about pulling my driving record as another source. Then I read the information above and decided to follow the same path you did.

Nothing like looking for an official answer from the authoritative source and then be given "a rule of thumb". Hmmmph.

Yes, I am still waiting on the results of my application.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the same. I on average have probably had a speeding ticket once every 2 years since I turned 16. I sure can't keep track of them. That would also include tickets in 2 or 3 states and numerous Oklahoma counties.

At first I was going to include every ticket that I could dig up information on through oscn.net and others. Then I thought I about pulling my driving record as another source. Then I read the information above and decided to follow the same path you did.

Nothing like looking for an official answer from the authoritative source and then be given "a rule of thumb". Hmmmph.

Yes, I am still waiting on the results of my application.

The only thing that bothers me is I checked No on have you ever been convicted of a misdeamanor (SP). I guess at the time I didn't even think about a speeding ticket being convicted but I guess we will see. I haven't had one in over 9 years so I'm not overly worried about it but I'm wondering a little bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom