Application Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
List it...since it was a juvenile offense, probably not going to be a big deal as far as OSBI is concerned. But if you don't list it, it could be a show-stopper.

Reaction score
Yes, you're better off, definitely to -when in doubt, disclosure, disclosure, disclosure. If they claim you left something off, you can be sure they they'll reject the app. If full disclosure is made, they'll investigate and determine whether or not it's a prohibition. I don't know if it is or not. If it is, then I would submit that that's an illegal unconstitutional prohibition, if not a felony, but that's a discussion for another day. I don't think that it's a prohibition - they just want a foothold to know whether to look into you further by catching "red flags" - things like drug offenses are considered red flags by them. If I recall correctly, it means they'll look at it closer, but it's not a basis for rejection (unless they determine and allege that you're a current user, per the 4473 question). They may wait till the last 5 of the 90 days to approve it, but if it's not a felony, I *think* they'll still approve - anyone know for sure if a non-current-drug-user with a past misdemeanor possession conviction is a basis for denial? In any event, it's better to take your chances, and an almost-sure rejection based on failure to disclose.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I passed Oklahomas investigation (also have applied for and got my California and Iowa permits before moving to Oklahoma)- and I got a city issued misdemeanor marijuana ticket 20 years ago when I was a young and dumb college punk living in California. It also was the last time I ever got in any trouble ever too,so,maybe it helps showing that I have had a span of 20 years with no troubles,other than traffic violations over the years.

I also have asked and have been told that a ticket is actually an arrest whereby you are being released under your own personal recognizance until you show up in court on the ticket,or pay it. Then if a ticket has been signed by you and then paid without going to court it is actually considered an admission of guilt and thus a 'conviction', unless you go to court,fight it,win,and it gets dismissed. So,you apparently dont have to go to court to get a 'conviction' of an offense. This is just what Ive been told,I may have been told wrong or understand things wrong so I'm not an expert on any of this and please dont use me for information.

My 'instance' happened one night after playing a gig in San Francisco and a cop in San Jose pulls me over for speeding. I had had a few beers during the show and definitely wasnt drunk,but it was enough to get me asked to step out of the car for a side of the road investigation. He didnt field sobriety test me because he was really cool and he could tell I wasnt drunk but I had been drinking so he said he was going to give me a ticket for public intox and save me from a possible DWI,and I was going to have to go to county for a required 6 hours of sober up time or whatever. He then wrote me up a bunch of city tickets(all misdemeanors): the one for public intoxication,speeding,a concealed weapons charge (a big hunting knife and a pair of nunchukas were in my guitars case in the back of my Blazer that I really did forget were in there),and then a ticket for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana (I had one small budd in a little baggie in my pocket that I volunteered information on without being searched that weighed probably about a gram in weight). I was 21. Ive since listed it on every application Ive filled out because even though I only got and paid city tickets and had no bond or court or anything, I was taken to county (he even let me ride in the front seat with no cuffs on) for their required 6 hour sober up period where I was mugshotted and printed and put in the drunk tank and had to pay all of the tickets before being released.

Other than the weed instance I also always list: a shoplifting charge I got at 16 (I was arrested,jailed,mug shotted and printed. When I went to court the judge told me if I didnt get in any other trouble for 30 days after I saw him in court it would be gone from my record); a misdemeanor charge from another dumb college moment- a charge for contributing to the delinquency of a minor (got some buddies some beer in college and when they got busted with it they ratted me out. I was jailed,mugshotted and printed. Went to court and got 20 hrs community service,after which it was supposedly not going to be on my record); and a bunch of traffic violations in quite a few counties and states that I in no way could ever remember them all but I try my best to list them.

My OSCN.net and others lists nothing on my record. But theyre there. So much for relying on that.

Some how I have passed every time I have applied. If I can pass you surely can,BUT,I'm sure every application is investigated under different circumstance so dont use me for a barometer of how to pass one. I just try and be honest and list the stupid stuff I did back in the day and its worked. You might try calling OSBI though first just in case.

I'm the son and grand son of 3 generations of cops and ex Marines. The black sheep of the family. Funny though how having kids when youre young makes you grow up fast and quit being stupid and you learn to fly right,or you should anyways.

jamjar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I submitted the application this week. I was not able to get any concrete answers on if it's on my record or not. I figured, what the heck...this is one way to find out.

I listed the offense and wrote in the notes that I'm not sure if there were any actual charges filed, because I was a juvenile and released to my parents, and never went to court, etc.... So I put it on there. We'll see what they come back with.

jamjar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get it over something stupid I did years and years ago.

On documentation, we really don't have anything. No court records, just the booklets & presentation from the "first offenders class" and then a letter my parents wrote to the office thanking him for potentially preventing a bigger issues down the road. There isn't any actual ticket, court records, or anything. I know my parent's would have kept all that.

Tick tock, tick tock, now I wait. I don't want to get too excited either way. Now I just want to know the outcome.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the same. I on average have probably had a speeding ticket once every 2 years since I turned 16. I sure can't keep track of them. That would also include tickets in 2 or 3 states and numerous Oklahoma counties.

you must have some big feet:D...dude you need to slow down...:disappoin

jamjar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I submitted the application this week. I was not able to get any concrete answers on if it's on my record or not. I figured, what the heck...this is one way to find out.

I listed the offense and wrote in the notes that I'm not sure if there were any actual charges filed, because I was a juvenile and released to my parents, and never went to court, etc.... So I put it on there. We'll see what they come back with.

It feels like a long time ago I submitted this. I just want to hurry up and know if I got it or not!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom