AR 15 Recommendations for Newbee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd worry about the features more than the brand name, like what the others have suggested.

I purchased a S&W M&P 15T, came with rails and folding sites which is stuff I would've had to purchase seperately or upgraded to.

Sometimes it is easier to just cry once.

Good luck.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy what makes sense to your wallet and base your decisions on what you want out of the rifle, not some chrome lining, phosphated,shot peened, collapsible stocked, mil spec wonder. KurtM

I do not see anywhere in this thread where anyone said that you had to have a "chrome lining, phosphated,shot peened, collapsible stocked, mil spec wonder".

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reference posts #10, 18, 20 and the references in the other forums in post # 16....hmmm all points to Mil Spec or don't even bother to buy one to me, but what do I know. But I sure do find "Chrome lined" in there somewhere. KurtM

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reference posts #10, 18, 20 and the references in the other forums in post # 16....hmmm all points to Mil Spec or don't even bother to buy one to me, but what do I know. But I sure do find "Chrome lined" in there somewhere. KurtM

In the posts you listed I see where folks said that chrome lined is more corrosion resistant (which it is) as well as slightly less accurate (like you mentioned) and that certain mfr's meet the mil-spec, but no one said "don't even bother to buy one" if it isn't.

Like I have said on here many times, 98% of the folks on this board would be fine with any major manufacturers gun or even a frankenAR. The links that Josh listed have a lot of good info for folks to look at and this helps them to make an informed decision on what works best for them. Some guys want the most accurate, some guys want one built like a tank and some folks want something in between. I think we should just point folks to the info and let them make their own decision.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't find anywhere where I told anyone to buy anything? I linked info that has a lot of good info for newbs. Even if I had told someone to buy something that's my opinion just like everyone elses that has posted. Doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong. I've only shot two IPSC matches though....

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well maybe I am over-reacting on this a bit, but I get real tired of folks saying it has to be Mil Spec to be any good. If Mil Spec is so great, why do they have to replace the bolts on M4s every 5000 round because of the breakage rate? Why do Mil Spec phosphated parts rust while teflon coated parts don't, and why do all the guys "in the know" recomend p-mags if G.I mags meet Mil Spec? I don't know how many times I see someone say "no matter what make sure it has a chrome lined barrel", "Make sure it has a Mil Spec bolt" (see above). Well you get the idea. KurtM

BTW I don't like P-Mags, I have seen way too many break and fail to like them much. But that is just me.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Rock River or Colt. Both are great shooting guns. You will pay a premium for a Colt, and IMHO, the Rock River's are a much better value.

All RRA come with the 2-stage trigger, and the fit between the upper and lower receivers is perfect... which I cannot say for Colt.

Come to Claremore and you can shoot one of mine if you lke.

Heck... you can even buy one of them!!! :)

When did "all" RRA's start coming with two stage triggers? None of the three I own have them.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well maybe I am over-reacting on this a bit, but I get real tired of folks saying it has to be Mil Spec to be any good. If Mil Spec is so great, why do they have to replace the bolts on M4s every 5000 round because of the breakage rate? Why do Mil Spec phosphated parts rust while teflon coated parts don't, and why do all the guys "in the know" recomend p-mags if G.I mags meet Mil Spec? I don't know how many times I see someone say "no matter what make sure it has a chrome lined barrel", "Make sure it has a Mil Spec bolt" (see above). Well you get the idea. KurtM

BTW I don't like P-Mags, I have seen way too many break and fail to like them much. But that is just me.

You only shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year, probably much more than that. Run ar's harder than most of us, and personally know many other that run ar's very hard.

So... What could you possibly know on the subject matter at hand? ;) (This question is sarcastic for the sarcastic impaired)

Anyway, which ar mags do you like? I'm slowly buying gear to try out 3 gun. Good mags will be useful regardless of 3 gun.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't shoot "tens of thousands" average year is around 15-18,000 rounds of .223 between practice, teaching and competing. This year was a bit more due to practice for the European Rifle Championships, but probably not over 20,000. And usually about the same for pistol.

For Ar mags I like the Brownells magazines around $12.00 with a Mag-Pul follower, can't get better than that as far as I am concerned. second choice is good old G.I mags with a Mag-Pul follower, I have only ever cracked/broken two of these over the years and I have seen 10X that amount of broken Mag Pul magazines this year alone. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom