AR 15 Recommendations for Newbee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sabre does not meet exact TDP specs and civilians can't get FN guns so that only leaves Colt and BCM.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem of buying only a "mil spec." gun is that you end up with only a mil spec gun. It may or may not meet the needs you wish from the rifle you buy. Ie. Mil Spec trigger groups BLOW! Chrome Lined barrels aren't as accurate as a good NON chromed barrel. etc. I shoot a little, and I can attest almost ALL name brand ARs are just fine....YES everyone of the manufacturers can and have made a bad rifle or two....Even Colt, Novesky, LWT...etc. I have only seen 4 broken bolts in my entire life, and I have only had one go bad on me ( it was a Colt BTW), I have had Mil Spec extractor fail and NON mil spec extractors fail.

Ie. I have a Bushmaster rifle that is on it's 3rd Chrome lined barrel ( takes about 20-25,000 rounds to burn one out. and NO PART other than chewing up the barrel has failed. I am on my 4th barrel on My J.P. competition rifle, who BTW DOESN'T use MIL SPEC bolts! Dave Neth and Bruce Piatt, both who shoot for DPMS have collectively over 175,000 rounds through their match rifles (ALL DPMS except for the muzzle brake and the trigger groups) and have never broken a single part!

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that if you buy an AR from a known manufacturer you will be just fine. I know all these guys are going to say I am a heretic for these words, but I bet hardly any of them have cooked out a barrel, and I bet they don't see the amount of different ARs being used under extreme conditions than I have. Buy what makes sense to your wallet and base your decisions on what you want out of the rifle, not some chrome lining, phosphated,shot peened, collapsible stocked, mil spec wonder. KurtM

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all my vast experience with AR-15's (100 rounds). I can tell you one thing for sure.... If you have a beard, don't buy a VLTOR stock. They are like an epilady for facial hair.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOLOLOLOL!!!

Some folks round here won't take too kindly to this post.

The problem of buying only a "mil spec." gun is that you end up with only a mil spec gun. It may or may not meet the needs you wish from the rifle you buy. Ie. Mil Spec trigger groups BLOW! Chrome Lined barrels aren't as accurate as a good NON chromed barrel. etc. I shoot a little, and I can attest almost ALL name brand ARs are just fine....YES everyone of the manufacturers can and have made a bad rifle or two....Even Colt, Novesky, LWT...etc. I have only seen 4 broken bolts in my entire life, and I have only had one go bad on me ( it was a Colt BTW), I have had Mil Spec extractor fail and NON mil spec extractors fail.
Ie. I have a Bushmaster rifle that is on it's 3rd Chrome lined barrel ( takes about 20-25,000 rounds to burn one out. and NO PART other than chewing up the barrel has failed. I am on my 4th barrel on My J.P. competition rifle, who BTW DOESN'T use MIL SPEC bolts! Dave Neth and Bruce Piatt, both who shoot for DPMS have collectively over 175,000 rounds through their match rifles (ALL DPMS except for the muzzle brake and the trigger groups) and have never broken a single part!

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that if you buy an AR from a known manufacturer you will be just fine. I know all these guys are going to say I am a heretic for these words, but I bet hardly any of them have cooked out a barrel, and I bet they don't see the amount of different ARs being used under extreme conditions than I have. Buy what makes sense to your wallet and base your decisions on what you want out of the rifle, not some chrome lining, phosphated,shot peened, collapsible stocked, mil spec wonder. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom