AR or AK ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^I think AK's can have great ergonomics. Not in their stock form, but if you make a few modifications, they can be just as adaptable as an AR.

I actually prefer the stock form; I can't understand the fetish to stick the M4-style stock on an AK rifle (or anything else for that matter). No goofy rails, no plastic six-position stocks. Just a basic rifle with iron sights. The only thing I'd change is the pistol grip, and that's only because I have big hands, unless you find the Commie length stock too short and opt for the NATO length one. I don't even mind the shorter stock, and I'm 6'-5".

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually prefer the stock form; I can't understand the fetish to stick the M4-style stock on an AK rifle (or anything else for that matter). No goofy rails, no plastic six-position stocks. Just a basic rifle with iron sights. The only thing I'd change is the pistol grip, and that's only because I have big hands, unless you find the Commie length stock too short and opt for the NATO length one. I don't even mind the shorter stock, and I'm 6'-5".

The adjustable stock allows you to fit the rifle to your size. Just like the bigger pistol grip fits your bigger hands. Having a red dot is better/faster than running iron sights. "Goofy rails" allow me to add a flashlight to be able to see what I'm shooting at in low light conditions. All of these things make the rifle a better tool in my opinion.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the fore mentioned points...but the one that hasn't been addressed that I care about is that the AR is FUN & COOL...and by that, I mean with modularity it is fun to "PIMP OUT"...I like cool rails, scopes and accessories.

When I see someone with an AK it's usually some third world country and the gun is "Ugly"

When I see an AR I look at it, see how it's built and think it's "Cool"

I realize I'll get bashed for putting value into "Cool Factor" as everyone here wants to think they are a Commando, but I care what my stuff looks like and the quality of each weapon, so the AR wins hands down for me. If I was in the Congo I would surely like the AK platform better, but I'm not.

Show me an AK that has cool factor anywhere near my own silenced AR:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the fore mentioned points...but the one that hasn't been addressed that I care about is that the AR is FUN & COOL...and by that, I mean with modularity it is fun to "PIMP OUT"...I like cool rails, scopes and accessories.

When I see someone with an AK it's usually some third world country and the gun is "Ugly"

When I see an AR I look at it, see how it's built and think it's "Cool"

I realize I'll get bashed for putting value into "Cool Factor" as everyone here wants to think they are a Commando, but I care what my stuff looks like and the quality of each weapon, so the AR wins hands down for me. If I was in the Congo I would surely like the AK platform better, but I'm not.

Show me an AK that has cool factor anywhere near my own silenced AR:

[Broken External Image]

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Veering wildly off topic, I noticed PTR91 rifles are a thousand bucks again. I've owned a couple of Hk 91 rifles in the past, they worked great for me but the were a ton o'gun.
I've read nothing bad that I can recall about the PTR version.
And, PTR is making good on their promise to leave Connecticut because of the new laws.
The wooden stocked ones look kinda cool to me too. Hmmm....

Latest posts

Top Bottom