AR or AK ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am very surprised that more AR fans havnt chimed in! Its always fun to read these sort of topics. Ive never shot a 47, but I have shot several ARs and a 74 which I loved. Get both if you can!

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess $800 dollars is the new norm for WASR's? Im glad I got one when they were about $450! I would definitely recommend an AK over an AR though!

Based on what?

Fragmentation is very unreliable. .223/5.56mm is a b!tch cartridge against 7.62xANYTHING. An extremely accurate b!tch cartridge that one man can carry a lot of.

Fragmentation is only a consideration for the military, whose governments are signatories to the Hague. Lets talk about civilian projos vis-a-vis the 7.64 vs. 5.56 debate, as that seems to be more applicable to the matter at hand.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overall I choose AK74 over ar in overall, reliability and combat effectiveness, and 5.45 cartridge design. ar15 are girly toy weapons for LEOs, to shoot paper with, clean obsessively, and argue over .5MOA, not for combat use. The whole accuracy argument is bs, once you put a decent optic on the ak, and the ak side rail mount is superior to ar mounts. And ammo cost, ak74 still .20/rnd versus 5.56 .60+/rnd

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own both and while they each have their strong points I prefer my AK over my AR. The AR is great thanks in part to the ability to change anything you want on it but the AK just has something to it that makes me feel like it's the gun I would grab first. The AK isn't so picky about ammo and you don't have to deal with the gas system length, buffer weight, etc. issues. I'm sure if I spent more time with my AR I could get a good optic and make it a tack driver but that's like telling me that I'll acquire a taste for caviar.

AR-15: Surplus Arms lower, double star LPK, BCM BCG, Palmetto State mid-length upper 1:7 twist barrel, magpul furniture w/ MBUS.
AK: Century Arms 1975 Bullpup. Only change out of the box is an adjustable fore grip.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overall I choose AK74 over ar in overall, reliability and combat effectiveness, and 5.45 cartridge design. ar15 are girly toy weapons for LEOs, to shoot paper with, clean obsessively, and argue over .5MOA, not for combat use. The whole accuracy argument is bs, once you put a decent optic on the ak, and the ak side rail mount is superior to ar mounts. And ammo cost, ak74 still .20/rnd versus 5.56 .60+/rnd

I hope you are joking...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you are joking...

I cant tell either.
These arguments are so tired and uninspired. At best they are just an academic argument about nuances that dont translate into real world experiences.

Either system is a capable and effective platform. The real difference; and the one that is rarely discussed, is the indian.

Latest posts

Top Bottom