AR15 pellet gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about reloading? Would you just make up a handful and go out or is there a quick way to swap primers?

The way I'm making it, the primer can be removed with your fingers using the rim of the primer. (reason for the tapered reamer) A pellet pushed in with the fingers, and the primer pulled out by fingers, or maybe a pocket knife. The primer rim is almost the same size as the cartridge base, so when countersinking the base where the primer is flush, I'll relieve a small part of the radius so the primer rim is accessable to be removed by fingers or knife. Low pressure, so there is no danger factor.
The one already built just drops the primer out. The hole is too large by a thou or so. It doesn't affect the performance though. Just point it to the ground, drop it in, and close the action.
A break or bolt action centerfire in any of the .22 cal configurations could be used.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the encore which should work perfect. I'm really eager to try this out with some powder. I wonder what kind of velocity you can get? Seems like you could at least get it super sonic without leading problems. Don't the air guns shoot around 1000 fps?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can say it is much quieter than a pellet gun, but still fast enough to go through a 5/8" board?
My wife was 100 feet away, and said that closing the action of the AR was louder than the crack. Of course it won't cycle.
I just wish my chrony wasn't on the blink.

The pellets may just be too small for your chrony to pick up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the encore which should work perfect. I'm really eager to try this out with some powder. I wonder what kind of velocity you can get? Seems like you could at least get it super sonic without leading problems. Don't the air guns shoot around 1000 fps?

I've just started shooting lead in my .45ACP. Most recomend 1000FPS to prevent leading a barrel, but I'm thinking that is because of the heat of the powder? I'm open to being corrected on this.
Some of the airguns like my buddies is aroung 1500FPS. Much quicker than a .22Lr, but it is as loud as a .22. No heat with compressed air.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what contributes to the leading on the .45. Probably has a lot to do with the large amount of bearing surface of the bullet. I know the hardness of the lead is a major factor as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The pellets may just be too small for your chrony to pick up.

The chrony just keeps running random numbers in the screen over and over. Won't settle down. I'm sure its a chrony problem. Its 20+ years old....They just don't make things like they used to:D
Checked the battery voltage as well.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a machinist by trade, but spent 21 years as a CNC maintenance Technician, electronics and controls in a couple of big machine shops.
Got bored with it and moved to Power plant controls.

I just like to tinker, so over the years, I've assembled a pretty nice little hobbiest machine/weld shop.
Still have a couple of bugs to work out on the round.

soooo jealous. I want so badly to get a lathe and milling machine. Too many awesome ideas, not enough time and money. Hopefully I'll have at least one of those two by the time I finish my masters (2 more years :()...

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a machinist by trade, but spent 21 years as a CNC maintenance Technician, electronics and controls in a couple of big machine shops.
Got bored with it and moved to Power plant controls.

I just like to tinker, so over the years, I've assembled a pretty nice little hobbiest machine/weld shop.
Still have a couple of bugs to work out on the round.

Thanks for sharing, that's awesome!

Latest posts

Top Bottom