Are ccw exempt from 4473?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I watched that when it was first shared on here. Don isn't really all that clear on anything other than it being applicable to permits issued after 11/1/21. He seems more concerned about everyone who got their permit issued before that date calling OSBI to renew early.

Doesn't it make sense to assume it's applicable right now based on the language provided by the ATF?

I'd think if it wasn't applicable now, it wouldn't listed on the Brady Permit Chart page.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart
Between this language:

Prepared by: ATF Office of Enforcement Programs and Services

Last updated: August 10, 2023

Note: Notwithstanding the dates set forth below, permits qualify as alternatives to the background check requirements of the Brady law for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance. The permit must be valid under state law in order to qualify as a Brady alternative.

And this language:

Self Defense Act Handgun Licenses issued after November 1, 2021 qualify (during the initial five-year period only) beginning on the original issuance date.

I don't see how someone could say it doesn't apply right now for folks with a permit valid under Oklahoma state law.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to mention the text in the first paragraph of the letter to Oklahoma FFLs:

OPEN LETTER TO ALL OKLAHOMA FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES

The purpose of this open letter is to advise you that the Oklahoma Self Defense Act Handgun License (SDA Handgun License) issued on or after November 1, 2021, meets the requirements as an alternative to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check— but only in Oklahoma during the five-year period beginning on the date of issuance of the SDA Handgun License. The following procedure may be used to comply with the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Brady Act), 18 U.S.C. § 922(t), when transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched that when it was first shared on here. Don isn't really all that clear on anything other than it being applicable to permits issued after 11/1/21. He seems more concerned about everyone who got their permit issued before that date calling OSBI to renew early.

Doesn't it make sense to assume it's applicable right now based on the language provided by the ATF?

I'd think if it wasn't applicable now, it wouldn't listed on the Brady Permit Chart page.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart
Between this language:

Prepared by: ATF Office of Enforcement Programs and Services

Last updated: August 10, 2023

Note: Notwithstanding the dates set forth below, permits qualify as alternatives to the background check requirements of the Brady law for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance. The permit must be valid under state law in order to qualify as a Brady alternative.

And this language:

Self Defense Act Handgun Licenses issued after November 1, 2021 qualify (during the initial five-year period only) beginning on the original issuance date.

I don't see how someone could say it doesn't apply right now for folks with a permit valid under Oklahoma state law.
I don't know then but at the 2:00 mark he says something to the contrary

Latest posts

Top Bottom