Armadillo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife has a problem with armadillo digging up her flower beds and yard. If I could see the sucker, I'd just shoot it. We live in the country. Does anyone know what if any bait they would go for in a cage trap?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've caught a couple over ten years in cage traps but I'm sure it was by accident. I've heard that a guy can dump a package of nightcrawlers in a panty hose legging, dirt and worms both. I've not tried it.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bowl full of grubs, worms or crickets in a live catch trap will work. We have caught several small armadillo's this way and the neighborhood kids would take them and make pets out of them...

When we would find an armadillo digging around our azalea bushes, I would take a live catch trap for coon, place it in the middle of a dug up area and take a handful of worms from my worm bed and put them in a plastic bowl with a lid on it and a bunch of holes punched in the lid. If the armadillo comes back that night, we stood a good 90% chance of catching it....

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cat food works well for other nuisance varmints that size (possums, raccoons, etc), but I don't know about armadillos. I would also like to know--we have one or more armadillos tearing up a hay field. At least we think they're armadillos; I can't think of anything else that would dig holes that size (I'm pretty sure there aren't any badgers in south Cleveland County :) ).

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cat food works well for other nuisance varmints that size (possums, raccoons, etc), but I don't know about armadillos. I would also like to know--we have one or more armadillos tearing up a hay field. At least we think they're armadillos; I can't think of anything else that would dig holes that size (I'm pretty sure there aren't any badgers in south Cleveland County :) ).

I can't tell you for certain what is digging your holes, but I bet there are badgers in south Cleveland county.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Basin is correct. I have caught them w out bait with v's or more so just a cage along a wall of a house or fence. Those critters usually stay right along the base of things and travel along it

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One a dem dillers made a break for it and ran across the road in front of me around 2:30pm today. Bad mistake!! A 125 gr BT in .308 opened up a "whole new world" for him. Fillet a diller was awaiting the yotes or buzzards.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks.. I'll let you know what I end up using. I will probably use the board director first thing. Wife has some meal worms for bird feed, they are the dried kind, so I may soak some of them and put them in as bait..

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
seems like armadillos are the only thing thriving in the drought. we've taken out at least 10 in the last couple of months. i havn't seen that many in all the years we've had our lease.

Latest posts

Top Bottom