assisted suicide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re not competent enough to do it yourself it probably shouldn’t be done. Back in my day people killed themselves without any help.
I could absolutely do it myself, but that would disqualify my wife from getting my life insurance that she will need to pay off the medical and other debt. some states have legal medical assisted suicide for people who are terminal where Doctors review your case and if approved they prescribe the drugs you administer yourself

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@retrieverman , interesting your found that funny.
In a hateful way with such a delicate question and my answer.
It is a delicate question that I have mixed feelings on after watching my Dad suffer and wither away in hospice care. The only thing funny is that I thought the same thing as flyguy but chose not to call you out on the hypocrisy. I sincerely apologize if my emoji offended you.

Last edited:

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife did hospice for around a dozen years. She helped people cross over with dignity and comfortable. That’s about as close to assisted suicide as I care to get.

When she was still in that field of nursing the average career for a hospice nurse was under two years.
Same here, it's a hard call, I have seen family and friends go through absolute hell in a hospital on the way out, and I have seen others in hospice care at home have a compassionate exit. Not necessarily totally painless, but to me it seemed like they had a more comfortable and an easier transition.

Another note, on the insurance thing, these sobs can base the decision on the whole suicide thing (assisted or not) on where your legal address is and has been for the last year or so upon exit, or if is in the first two years of the policy.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could absolutely do it myself, but that would disqualify my wife from getting my life insurance that she will need to pay off the medical and other debt. some states have legal medical assisted suicide for people who are terminal where Doctors review your case and if approved they prescribe the drugs you administer yourself
Accidental overdose.

I'm 100% for it, as long as the potential cadaver is mentally competent.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A family friend of ours had cancer and was in horrible pain. But, he was a Christian. He said one time when asked about his struggles with pain. He said “ this is nothing compared to what Christ went through “. I know that ain’t a comfort to you. But, he was able to make it through his pain. His faith carried him through it. Put your faith and trust in God.

Sig365CCW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Banned Supporter
Reaction score
It's a very personal choice between you and those who care about you. If I could be assured the life insurance would pay off and my family accepted it I would give them one last hug and tell them I would see them in heaven. Once I reached a certain point of no recovery and was just miserable I would spare them and myself from a slow certain death. I will pray for you and your family as you make this decision.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, it should be a personal choice, if the person still has mental capacity. If no mental capacity, then let the DNR and Living Will control.

Second, I take issue with the terminology. Helping a depressed teenager jump off a bridge, is not the same as helping a person who is suffering with medically controlled pain and/or terminal illness. I do not believe it is suicide, or assisted suicide, nor should it be called that, to help someone who has chronic pain and/or a terminal illness. The comparison is not valid.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a fan. The closest to it that I can stomach is hospice.
If you needed to talk or someone to listen, let me know.
Went through this once with a dear friend. Well, almost. Was working with an outfit in Oregon who simply advised how to use Hospice and morphine to make it a peaceful passing. Got so bad he took things into his own hands before we got to that point. Nothing is easy at that stage and the topic has a lot of angles. Full embrace involving government sanctions has its own downside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom