assisted suicide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’re going thru similar situations with my in-laws who are both well into their 80’s.
Father-in-law is slowly dying from Parkinson’s and Mother-in-law declining rapidly from just old age. Both are already on Hospice. It was their choice years ago and still now. It’s not what any of their kids wanted, but they are respecting their choice. Their hospice nurse along with my wife/nurse have done an excellent job with them. It’s tough to watch but I’m glad for them.

In case anyone wants to know they’re using Valor Hospice. Wife told me they were doing an excellent job of providing for them.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand extreme pain and suffering wearing on a person to the point of despair and exhaustion. Suicide or seeing the enduring are both extremely hard on family and those close to the person, a difficult and personal decision.

A few sleeping pills, a closed garage and running car is painless and mess free. A gunshot, not so much.

Assisted suicide is a slippery slope and a difficult decision. Dad went through a long battle with cancer. He had severe allergies to morphine, codeine, opioid, vicadein all the good pain medication. I have the same allergies. I have had 5 family and close friends commit suicide, the devastation left behind was not an improvement to anyone, except the 1 commting suicide. Time will tell.

There is no perfect, fits all, simple solution.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to be judgemental, you don't know what has happened, or what's going to happen, I can promise you from experience it's a rough road, just honor the decision that someone will make, and out of a whole family sometimes there is just one. Just be supportive, you do what you think you should, and let the next guy do the same. The most important thing is to have this conversation with the person that is sick, before they get too sick, so you will have the strength to make a decision you'll have to live with. Get your paperwork in order, a DNR, medical directive, power of attorney, etc. What typically happens is the relatives show up and they haven't seen aunt Hattie, or momma Joe in years, but here they are, ready to make decisions, wailing and criticizing the medical staff for not saving someone that was damn near dead when they got to the hospital. But get your ducks in a row, if your special someone gets hooked up to a vent, it could be tough to get the hospital to back off, or suspend medication, which is another way to let them go. As for me, I hope I go face down in the mashed potatoes, my ribeye almost gone, and the last shot of bourbon just a memory.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After watching Dad decline for a couple of years before he finally passed a few months ago, I'd absolutely been looking for a different option if it were me. I'm honestly surprised that he didn't do something before then. On a Thursday he finally said "enough" and said he wanted off his meds, and was fully aware of what that outcome would be. The following Monday he died.

Was that suicide? More or less, it was.
I don’t view going off meds as suicide.

After my Dad’s cancer experience, as of right now, I have no intention of seeking any kind of treatment and just letting nature take its course if I’m ever diagnosed.
Would not seeking treatment be considered suicide? :anyone:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t view going off meds as suicide.

After my Dad’s cancer experience, as of right now, I have no intention of seeking any kind of treatment and just letting nature take its course if I’m ever diagnosed.
Would not seeking treatment be considered suicide? :anyone:
Good question. When Dad was alive, he was taking meds that absolutely kept him from dying. Deciding to stop them was a conscious decision that he knew with certainty would mean his demise, and quickly.

One could argue that he ceased to interfere with Nature/God's will, whatever.

So if that's the case, seeking medical help is interfering the God's plan.

Just because you're tired or in pain doesn't mean you can make a decision and it's His will or vice versa. One needs to be consistent and choose science or faith. And that old preacher's line "God gave us doctors" - well, is it a violation of His will to decline their services?

All I know is I would not want to live if I was in Dad's shape for the last couple years. It's my life, and if I possibly can, I'll end it before I get like that. I really think Dad just waited too long and his physical limitations kept him from ending it sooner.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, That is Gods job not ours to decide when we leave this earth, He has a plan for your life, regardless of what we know, or think, if there is suffering involved, that is his will and we shouldn’t question that.
3 people have posted laughing emojis on my post, I don’t see anything funny about any of this, the man asked for opinions and several people have posted theirs, I’d like know what part seems funny to them ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom