Backup Gun Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have recently decided that I both need and want a backup gun, something of the "fits in my pocket" variety.

Thus far I have narrowed down my options to two guns (though if I find another good candidate I would certainly consider that as well): a S&W 642 and a Diamondback Db9.

A primary argument for the s&w is its legendary reliability. Also, any needed replacement parts should be easy to come by. However, I have very little experience with wheelguns and this may require a good amount of training to get used to.

So far as the Db9 goes, it is in a caliber I already own, is pretty similar to my edc G30, and has better sights than the s&w.

So, there you have it. My big dilemma. Any input or ideas that might help narrow this down (or perhaps broaden my choices) would be appreciated!

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I automaticaly think 380 when I think DB.
My thoughts on back-ups are
If your primary is broke/jammed bad enough where you are going to backup things will more than likely be at contact distance.
the revo can be shoved into something without the worry of it getting knocked out of battery.
even if the revo is grabbed the cylinder will still turn. the auto will more than likely jam if/when it fires.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I ask the grounds for your determination of "needing" a BUG?

You could simply say I just want one and thats reason enough but since you said you "both need and want" I am curious what your determined NEED is?

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I ask the grounds for your determination of "needing" a BUG?

You could simply say I just want one and thats reason enough but since you said you "both need and want" I am curious what your determined NEED is?

My "need" is very much subjective, and is much more of a want.

Regardless, it's still something nice to have and could be fun at the range...

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pocketed revolvers get FULL of lint... and still operate. Consider that that lint accumulates in pocket holster too. Can you imagine what crud could get in a gun loose in a pocket?

I'd expect any semi auto in the same pocket would need a lot more attention to keep it running.

I can get a SW 60 in a pair of Wranglers... it's a cinch in cargo pants or dress trousers with bigger pockets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom