Backup Gun Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Front or rear pocket holster Seecamp .380. You don't want to make a day of shooting with it at the range, but seven rounds ready to go in your front pocket + concealment is a pretty good combo. Buffalo Bore makes some pretty impressive loads to round it all out. High quality and pretty impressive.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If were talking about a BUG...by the very nature of having to use A BUG one is up the proverbial unsanitary tributary without means of propulsion. If you need a BUG you need it to work without fail, every time, no mater what because if you have to use a backup over a primary something catastrophic has happened. The 642 or other variant would serve you well as spot on reliable over any auto being made today.

on nothing more than reliability I would tell you to go for the Smith....but having said that I will also say that yes you will have to shoot it to get used to it and the learning curve may be more than an auto if that is what your used to....As far as the gun being bulkier....yes the cylinder of the gun is a little wide compared to some auto's but....A gun is ment to be comforting not comfortable.

Just my 2 cents worth...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If were talking about a BUG...by the very nature of having to use A BUG one is up the proverbial unsanitary tributary without means of propulsion. If you need a BUG you need it to work without fail, every time, no mater what because if you have to use a backup over a primary something catastrophic has happened. The 642 or other variant would serve you well as spot on reliable over any auto being made today.

on nothing more than reliability I would tell you to go for the Smith....but having said that I will also say that yes you will have to shoot it to get used to it and the learning curve may be more than an auto if that is what your used to....As far as the gun being bulkier....yes the cylinder of the gun is a little wide compared to some auto's but....A gun is ment to be comforting not comfortable.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I'll add another two cents Get an all steel model, because your BUG needs to be shot as much if not more than your primary. Yes to the revolver, as you may have to shoot through a garment. Do that with a Semiauto, an you now have a very expensive singleshot semiauto. Back to the all steel revolver, your going to want to shoot it, your going to need to shoot it, an your going to want to shoot your defensive load to know where its going to hit at different distances(Yes they can be accurate out to 25yds an beyond). Oh yeah, get yourself some quality gear, your gonna drop a few bills on the gun, don't skimp on the gear!!!!!!!!

M

Matt Basterson

i keep an extra gun in the pickup because i shoot different things recreationally, but if i thought i actually needed 2 guns on me, i'd stay at home. i go in and out of a lotta ruff places damm near every day, and one small revolver is all i need.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting piece of info a gunsmith passed on to me. He is in Broken Arrow and was the armorer for the Calif Highway Patrol. Then retired and became a full time gunsmith.

He said, that those guys are sending him Bersa .380, he is reworking, and sending them back. A lot of guys are carrying these guns. He did not say why just that he is very busy on this gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom