Barrel Welding? Co-Joining? Can it be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my thinking, it would be cheaper to have a barrel maker take a blank, ream the chamber, then bore the barrel. If its a smooth bore, it would result in the projectile flying everywhere without stabilization generated by the rifling.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did the Uzis cycle? If the nose cone is propellent I could see that working. Can you find one of these barrels to maybe scavenge that liner out of?

Uzi cycled fine.

Same rate of fire as regular 9mm ammo.

Nose cone is not propellant, just a basis to hold the projectile.

I have some of the barrels.

Problem has been that they are no longer made and can be subject to 'barrel bulge".

See, the projectile is steel.
The projectile diameter is (if I remember correctly) .206
The barrel diameter is .22

So there is some "slop" that can allow the ball projectile to "ping" the barrel. After enough rounds, between the pinging and the resin, something can get clogged and the barrel can bulge.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my thinking, it would be cheaper to have a barrel maker take a blank, ream the chamber, then bore the barrel. If its a smooth bore, it would result in the projectile flying everywhere without stabilization generated by the rifling.

The barrels that were used in the past had rifling, but the projectile never really engaged the rifling due to the disparity between the projectile Outer diameter (.206) and the barrel inner diameter (.22).

Didn't seem to make much difference when shooting.

Like I said, not for bulleye just for fun.

I agree, that it might be better to do it your way, but I haven't found a barrel maker that would do it.
I always get the same result, it would be "cost prohibitive", but no one has ever given me a cost on that project.

Dave

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why they won't do it. If I were in the business and had the lathe I'd do it. What you are asking for is pretty easy but would require a custom 9mm reamer to accommodate the nose cone.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Understand.
They have everything set up on a jig. If it doesn't fall under their machining protocols, it would require more engineering that = more $$

I understand that, but it would be nice to hear a price instead of "cost prohibitive".

If I'm the guy footing the bill, then I should be the one who makes the determination of what is prohibitive.

After all, it is a numbers thing.

Lets say that 9mm costs .20 cents a round and I bought the training ammo for .02cents a round. That means that for every 1000 rounds I shoot, I'm saving 180 bucks. If I have 5000 rounds that is 900 dollars.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why they won't do it. If I were in the business and had the lathe I'd do it. What you are asking for is pretty easy but would require a custom 9mm reamer to accommodate the nose cone.

I've even wondered if it could be done CAD/CAM.

I have the Uzi barrels, so I would think that they could be scanned for the external shape and contours and then the chamber reamer and bore the hole.

But, like I have said, I am not knowledgeable about what is needed to do these things.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that, but it would be nice to hear a price instead of "cost prohibitive".

If I'm the guy footing the bill, then I should be the one who makes the determination of what is prohibitive.

Dave
Well, that is true. Everybody has a price limit they are willing to pay for services rendered.
I suspect they are not wanting to quote because they might ruffle some feathers of future customers? Don't know, only speculating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom