Barrel Welding? Co-Joining? Can it be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back when I bought a Broomhandle Mauser at a gun show. The barrel had been cut off in front of the chamber then threaded & a peice of 30 caliber rifle barrel threaded internally screwed on it. It never blew up. I would think a 22 barrel turned to fit in side 9 mm barrel threaded at muzzle to screw into 9mm barrel with a radius turned on breech of 22 barrel would work.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then you would have to register it as a smoothbore rifle, since the GCA requires rifle barrels to be rifled.

I don't think that holds if the barrel is attached to a machine gun.
But it could. If it ever came to pass, I'd check that out.

Dave

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not call $350 cost prohibitive!

Depending on the outside barrel diameter around the chamber, this could be done by the process of barrel lining. I have made a couple of these barrels before and used a .204 Ruger barrel. Accuracy was consistently under 2" at 20 yds...

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not call $350 cost prohibitive!

Depending on the outside barrel diameter around the chamber, this could be done by the process of barrel lining. I have made a couple of these barrels before and used a .204 Ruger barrel. Accuracy was consistently under 2" at 20 yds...

So you have made these before?
for what platform?
Uzi?
AR?
Sure would love to know if we are talking about the same thing.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back when I bought a Broomhandle Mauser at a gun show. The barrel had been cut off in front of the chamber then threaded & a peice of 30 caliber rifle barrel threaded internally screwed on it. It never blew up. I would think a 22 barrel turned to fit in side 9 mm barrel threaded at muzzle to screw into 9mm barrel with a radius turned on breech of 22 barrel would work.

I hadn't thought along the lines of threading to barrels to fit together.
That might be a way to skin this cat also.

Dave

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am referring to the Uzi. The barrels I have reworked seemed rather large and bulky at the breech end, which in turn had plenty of metal for boring and threading.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find someone to do it, you could EDM the chamber in a .223 barrel blank. Don't know if they are still in business, but On Target Technologies was building and rechambering custom Contender and Encore barrels using EDM to cut the chambers......

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The resin/sabot is 9mm and the BB is 5mm?
Why the .22 barrel? The resin has to exit or is burned with the powder. The barrel starts as 9mm and tapers to 5mm?

Why can't a bull barrel blank be chambered to the cartridge?

I'm missing something here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom