Barrel Welding? Co-Joining? Can it be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that is true. Everybody has a price limit they are willing to pay for services rendered.
I suspect they are not wanting to quote because they might ruffle some feathers of future customers? Don't know, only speculating.

I don't think that there would be future customers.

The supply of this ammo dried up years ago.
Right now, the metal stripper clips sell for more than the boxes and cases of ammo did, so it can essentially be free to shoot.

Shoot the ammo, sell the clips.

But, someone like me might be looking for more than one barrel and cost averaging would then come into play for me.

Dave

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've even wondered if it could be done CAD/CAM.

I have the Uzi barrels, so I would think that they could be scanned for the external shape and contours and then the chamber reamer and bore the hole.

But, like I have said, I am not knowledgeable about what is needed to do these things.

A gunsmith could do a chamber cast of the barrel(s) you have and order up a set of reamers. IDK, it may take a couple to get it done to finish size. Then just rechamber a .22 AR barrel. Or an AK barrel. Or...... You get the idea. One of the Nordic PCC guns with the interchangable magazine inserts that let you use 2011 or Glock or M&P mags would be the perfect host for this.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could also be cost prohibitive for him to get the liability interest he thinks he'd need. Welding barrels together sounds like a kaboom looking for a hand in which to explode.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A gunsmith could do a chamber cast of the barrel(s) you have and order up a set of reamers. IDK, it may take a couple to get it done to finish size. Then just rechamber a .22 AR barrel. Or an AK barrel. Or...... You get the idea. One of the Nordic PCC guns with the interchangable magazine inserts that let you use 2011 or Glock or M&P mags would be the perfect host for this.

That's what I have always thought.
But, finding someone who knows what to do and how to do it has been the issue.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It could also be cost prohibitive for him to get the liability interest he thinks he'd need. Welding barrels together sounds like a kaboom looking for a hand in which to explode.

These aren't full power 9mm loads.
I agree that thoughts on liability might be the problem, but that has never been said.
Only time I've had anyone really think on it, they told me that they'd have to get something like a run of 400 barrel blanks to get it going.

Dave

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These aren't full power 9mm loads.
I agree that thoughts on liability might be the problem, but that has never been said.
Only time I've had anyone really think on it, they told me that they'd have to get something like a run of 400 barrel blanks to get it going.

Dave

Sounds like that he was thinking he'd have to sell a bunch to recoup his investment in the special tooling. Are you sure he understood that you were willing to foot that cost? That's why I'm not getting why nobody will do it.

You don't have to do CAD/CAM CMM models and CNC machining or welding. Can you go back with the chamber cast idea? That's feasible if you are willing to pay for custom reamers and it sounds like it's worth doing.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like that he was thinking he'd have to sell a bunch to recoup his investment in the special tooling. Are you sure he understood that you were willing to foot that cost? That's why I'm not getting why nobody will do it.

You don't have to do CAD/CAM CMM models and CNC machining or welding. Can you go back with the chamber cast idea? That's feasible if you are willing to pay for custom reamers and it sounds like it's worth doing.

I'm interested in any option.

Would just like to find out what it will cost and then make the decision.

Dave

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my thinking, it would be cheaper to have a barrel maker take a blank, ream the chamber, then bore the barrel. If its a smooth bore, it would result in the projectile flying everywhere without stabilization generated by the rifling.
Then you would have to register it as a smoothbore rifle, since the GCA requires rifle barrels to be rifled.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem As I see it is you need to find a retired gun tinkerer.
Someone who doesn't need the money and just wants to say "I did that".
It would most likely be a one-off project.
The person would have to be familiar with barrel chambering
The person would have to be familiar with AR barrel fitting even though the guns a blow-back.
Once a really good chamber cast has been made you could draw up the reamer blueprint and sent it off to be made.
I would guesstimate the price somewhere between $1200 -1500 for the first one. Due to experimentation time.
Then future barrels would be in the $600 range. Using new barrel blanks.
Thats why they used burned out uzi barrels with liners.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me it seems what you want, is a .22 barrel assembly with the chamber machined for 9mm. That to me would be the easiest way if you could find a .22 barrel for the gun you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom