"Be Patient, Student Driver" Stickers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen those and also wondered if they were serious or what. I will say, right now I have a 15 1/2 yr old daughter learning to drive. She’s a timid person. She does get flustered when all the A-holes are tailgating her then whipping around her aggressively if she’s being a little slow in certain situations. But I pretty much explained to her that this is a great life lesson. A lot of people suck and you shouldn’t care what they think. Ignore them and focus on what you need to do.

Let’s be honest too, traffic is insane nowadays! It’s much different than when I was a kid learning to drive. People do need to chill the hell out when kids are learning.

Modern vehicles drive so well and handle so smooth that people are just flying everywhere… launching from stop lights like a bat out of hell.. people tailgate me like crazy when I’m driving my slow old manual trans Toyota pickup puttering along.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excuse? I don't need an excuse.

If the speed limit is 65, that's the limit. The upper limit. It's not a sign stating the only speed permitted is 65.

If I'm going over the (posted) legal minimum, which on the Interstate system is 45, then I'm as legal as you. There's another lane, use it.

You don't like the speed I'm going, go around me.

Just to be clear, I'm a professional driver with more miles under my butt than most on this board. No accidents, no moving violations.
And I get paid more if I get there faster. But I don't get paid at all if I don't get there.
Thats right on the speed limit. And ill add a posted speed limit of 65 mph is with light to normal traffic on a clear day. Add moderate to heavy traffic and any low light/weather/rain related and the speed should be reduced.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple in my neighborhood has them that say "Senior Driver - Please Be Patient". I think this is just stupid.

If you are too old to drive like you are supposed to, get off the road. Just because you are old, does not give you the excuse to go 45 on the highway where it is 65.

Who is supposed to determine "how" one is supposed to drive? I've also been told that anyone over 65 "ought to have their driver's licenses revoked."

I've driven a lot professionally and am still currently doing so on our Summer jobs, but even at 78, I can handle most higher speeds, although personally, I don't like going much over 75 unless I'm having to pass someone else.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who is supposed to determine "how" one is supposed to drive? I've also been told that anyone over 65 "ought to have their driver's licenses revoked."

I've driven a lot professionally and am still currently doing so on our Summer jobs, but even at 78, I can handle most higher speeds, although personally, I don't like going much over 75 unless I'm having to pass someone else.
If you are on a two lane highway with no passing zones, going 45-50 with multiple cars behind you then you are the problem. I see this all the time where I drive.

If you can’t manage to handle the “flow”, take the county roads or get off the highway. No matter the age.

Exceptions of course to tanker trucks hauling crude, etc. But Joe and Jane Public need to speed up or stay at home.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you find that everyone is driving too slow, maybe they are not the problem.
"Everyone"? Who said anything about everyone?

I am just saying that there are some people who obstruct traffic to be "safe" by holding everyone else up who want to get home and see their families. When in reality when you do finally get to pass, they are typically a certain demographic that can barely see over the steering wheel.

I have a neighbor who drives exactly like this to be "safe". Well guess what, he was t-boned at an intersection for going to slow pulling onto a highway. Him and his wife got the unfortunate experience of being life flighted to OU Trauma Center and spent over three months in ICU, rehab etc. He actually died twice but thanks to a miracle, he pulled through. All this because he wanted to drive slow and "be safe".

Slow does not equal safe and if you are too "senior" or too "inexperienced" to drive, then stay off the darn highways that are two lane and take back roads. I have no issue with them driving or putting stickers on their car, even though I think it is dumb. Just don't make other drivers suffer for your lack of initiative on the road.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple in my neighborhood has them that say "Senior Driver - Please Be Patient". I think this is just stupid.

If you are too old to drive like you are supposed to, get off the road. Just because you are old, does not give you the excuse to go 45 on the highway where it is 65.

Does the same logic apply to kids who are too inexperienced to drive the speed limit?

Does the same logic apply to 40 year olds playing on their phones while driving 45 in a 65?

And for the record I think a lot of old people probably shouldn’t be driving. Unfortunately a lot of them have no other option. Maybe you’re volunteering to drive them I don’t know.

ETA: back in the day I always gave the old folks a pass if they weren’t out driving in the busiest time of traffic.
Today there are traffic jams all day long. Really don’t know how all the people out driving around all day afford it.
So I guess there isn’t a slow time anymore.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the same logic apply to kids who are too inexperienced to drive the speed limit?

Does the same logic apply to 40 year olds playing on their phones while driving 45 in a 65?

And for the record I think a lot of old people probably shouldn’t be driving. Unfortunately a lot of them have no other option. Maybe you’re volunteering to drive them I don’t know.

ETA: back in the day I always gave the old folks a pass if they weren’t out driving in the busiest time of traffic.
Today there are traffic jams all day long. Really don’t know how all the people out driving around all day afford it.
So I guess there isn’t a slow time anymore.
Yes.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Everyone"? Who said anything about everyone?

I am just saying that there are some people who obstruct traffic to be "safe" by holding everyone else up who want to get home and see their families. When in reality when you do finally get to pass, they are typically a certain demographic that can barely see over the steering wheel.

I have a neighbor who drives exactly like this to be "safe". Well guess what, he was t-boned at an intersection for going to slow pulling onto a highway. Him and his wife got the unfortunate experience of being life flighted to OU Trauma Center and spent over three months in ICU, rehab etc. He actually died twice but thanks to a miracle, he pulled through. All this because he wanted to drive slow and "be safe".

Slow does not equal safe and if you are too "senior" or too "inexperienced" to drive, then stay off the darn highways that are two lane and take back roads. I have no issue with them driving or putting stickers on their car, even though I think it is dumb. Just don't make other drivers suffer for your lack of initiative on the road.
I gotta say, kinda sounds like you’re the A-hole here. Grow some patience, drive defensively, let others be.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sittin' on the front porch of a cabin in Colorado looking at the mountains and a lot of yellow trees. It's 76 degrees and I'm eating a waffle cone with 2 scoops of chocolate. 🍦In a little while, I'm gonna get in my Jeep and drive some trails - at pretty slow speed too. 🙂 I don't know what you poor slobs are doing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom