Body Armor In Your Prepping Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been curious about body armor. Not sure it's something worth the expense or not for bugging out or prepping in general. What do you guys think? Also, if you were to get it what level of protection would you go with and why?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For prepping purposes, I'd say it wasn't worth the expense to buy a new one. If you still plan on buying one, the price difference is so small, I'd probably buy a IIIA if buying new assuming you weren't wearing it full time. I have two level II vests (not IIA) because I used to wear one 40+ hours per week. It was the compromise between comfort and protection. If buying used, I'd go for anything that fit at a good price. I wouldn't pass because of a lower protection rating.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is one of those items you have to weigh carefully. If you get the stuff thats rated for rifle fire...its going to be pretty heavy. Pistol rated isnt too bad nowadays. As far as shrapnel protection I know that most of the pistol rated vests would be pretty bad because a good knife will defeat a lot of vests. I guess the best compromise would be a II or IIA with a good trauma plate in the chest. Should stop most pistol and maybe rifle IF it hits the plate. After 22 years of wearing one everyday I guess Ive gotten used to the weight. Its a little confining in the summer but overall it offers good protection for a little added bulk. Just have to decide if an extra couple of pounds is worth what you might be going up against. BTW Dustin check your email....

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the threat you expect to face? Handguns? Get level 2-3A. Long guns, get plates. I don't think it's practical for 'bugging out' due to weight and bulk. Im not a fan of wearing plates for longer than a few hours. If you plan on bugging in, plates and armor make sense

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure you would choose your armor based on what you're shooting. If I'm running a long gun I would expect others to be doing the same and would go for level III at least rifle plates. But I'm no expert.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a SHTF scenario, most people will probably have a rifle. Have you noticed the popularity of the black rifles lately? So if you were going to prepare against it you need to plan on plates. You are looking at carrying an extra 25.lbs mins.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I figure you would choose your armor based on what you're shooting. If I'm running a long gun I would expect others to be doing the same...

This.

But if it's part of your "plan" then another part of your plan better be training with that armor on. Running with it on, shooting with it on, living with it on for a 12+ hour day...otherwise you will just be an armored turtle and a slow moving target.

That damn armor will sap you. Large ESAPI front and rear will add close to 13 pounds plus the carrier and soft armor backing. If you don't prepare for it, it's just another talisman gathering dust in the garage.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone told me a carrier, level 4 plates, and 100 ounces of water weighs about 32 pounds.

Of course that's dependent on the configuration. A USGI IOTV carrier with all attachments and plates, size large, comes in somewhere around 34lbs. Strip it down to basic vest and front/rear plates and you are still at 24lbs.

Then add helmet, water, ammo and other doodads....sucking wind in short order.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom