BP Buck poacher caught

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year there was a game warden watching east bound I 40 vehicles from an overpass and there 3 on I 40 just east of him stopping vehicles. I presume with deer in the backs. Post a vehicle description and tag number, he is likely out here driving around poaching deer too.

Now that is interesting. I never would have thought of that one.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to get into hunting. Naturally I would like every act I perform to be lawful. To that end, I have a few questions. What exactly is poaching? Is it as sinister as it sounds or can it simply be making a mistake? Obviously these scenarios will be case specific but I an so new to this I am trying to wrap my head around it.

I have about 50 other questions but this will suffice for now. :)

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is poaching?
Poaching is the illegal hunting, fishing, trapping, or eating of wild plants or animals contrary to local and international conservation and wildlife management laws. Violations of hunting laws and regulations are normally punishable by law and, collectively, such violations are known as poaching.

It may be illegal and in violation because:

* The game or fish is not in season; usually the breeding season is declared as the closed season when wildlife species are protected by law.
* The poacher does not possess a license.
* The poacher is illegally selling the animal or animal parts or plant for a profit.
* The animal is being hunted outside of legal hours.
* The hunter used an illegal weapon for that animal.
* The animal or plant is on restricted land.
* The right to hunt this animal is claimed by somebody.
* The means used are illegal (for example, baiting a field while hunting quail or other animals, using spotlights to stun or paralyze deer, or hunting from a moving vehicle, watercraft, or aircraft).
* The animal or plant is protected by law or that it has been listed as extinct or endangered (see for example the Endangered Species Act for the USA or the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and similar laws/treaties.

In deer it is taking illegally and could be done by several ways. Some us spotlights at night, some just drive around and shoot from their vehicle and some sneak on peoples land without permission to hunt. This is just a few ways that are called poaching.

BoneHunter41

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yeds Im talking about the same subject. No fines were issued and the suspected poacher was not at home but in western oklahoma on a hunt per his relatives that live down the road, a warrant for his arrest has been issued. This is also still an active investigation. They found approx a 103-104 racks at this residence.

the home they raided, the owner showed up shortly after and got a citation. he was not the one they were after to begin with. his friend, the one that killed the deer, hid the horns at his house. the OGW then went to the guys house and gave him citations also and took his gun. the horns that were confiscated did not belong to the home owner and he is the one that went on the draw out hunt in western oklahoma. and there has not been any arrest warrants issued at this time. everything is pending the court date as it stands right now.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a totally different story that is being ran on the front page of the Latimer Co newspaper all its list with a citation for wildlife crimes is one person. Thay all should have had their guns seized both of them are criminals if you ask me.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomas game laws are a joke and just a slap on the wrist. In any other state poaching an animal of that size would be a good chunk of restitution and posibly jail time and a revocation of hunting rights. They took a great animal away from legal hunters and that is just sickening. And his buddy is no better trying to cover it up for him and help him hide it he is just as guilty as the original shooter if you ask me. Its not like he knew nothing about the massive deer and how it came to be at his house and he failed to turn his friend in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahomas game laws are a joke and just a slap on the wrist. In any other state poaching an animal of that size would be a good chunk of restitution and posibly jail time and a revocation of hunting rights. They took a great animal away from legal hunters and that is just sickening. And his buddy is no better trying to cover it up for him and help him hide it he is just as guilty as the original shooter if you ask me. Its not like he knew nothing about the massive deer and how it came to be at his house and he failed to turn his friend in.

I agree 100%. I put in huge chunks of money on food plots, farming equipment, feeders, feed, camera's and personal regulation to only take mature bucks, but the a$$ holes driving around that are lazy, and just really don't give a crap about other people's dreams, don't get any respect from me. I hope they have a warm fuzzy feeling looking at that mount they took from my hunting area with a rifle during bow season in the middle of the night.:finger::finger:

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize for bringing up a very old thread, but for whatever reason the poaching of the BP buck back in 2009 popped into my feeble mind and I thought I would research and see what punishment was meted out to the alleged perp --Kenneth Nixon for this act. Imagine my shock when I searched at ODCR.com in Latimer county for Kenneth Nixon for wildlife violations and find that all seven cases appear to have been dismissed.

WL-2009-26 through 32 if I am reading this correctly show all were dismissed....

Can any of you folks tell me if what I am seeing on that web site REALLY says all charges were dismissed?????

http://www1.odcr.com/

Looks like the reason they were dismissed is that they filed criminal misdemeanor charges and fined him $5114.50 for this case.....

Last edited:

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't follow this case but I looked at the District Court records, Mr Nixon pled guilty in 2011 to Counts 1,4, 5 & 7; Counts 2, 3 & 6 were dismissed.

Guilty Plea: Count 1: Taking deer in closed season, Count 4: Abandoned Carcass/taking trophy parts Count 5: Improper Disposal of Carcass Count 7: Illegal Poss. of Wildlife
Dismissed: Count 2: shooting from roadway, Count 3 unlawfully transporting a firearm, Count 6: Hunting w/ aid of motorized vehicle

The Judgment & Sentence paperwork is not available so I don't know what other conditions were contained in the guilty plea, but like you said he paid a little over a $5000 fine and I would suspect that he had to give up his hunting & fishing rights, if not forever, at least for some amount of time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom