Brainstorming on an Idea here........about trapping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There are few who trap anymore, and a lot of those who do are older gentlemen, who grew up doing it and learning from their fathers and grandfathers. SO ..............I'm going to throw this out there, and if it progresses, awesome, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

If there's enough interest here, I'd like to take a day and put a trapping seminar for anyone who'd like to learn. Would really great if your kids were involved, and really that would be my focus is getting as many kids involved as possible. I don't want this to be a show and tell, but a hands on learning experience...get your hands on the traps, pound some stakes, hands in the dirt.

Things we'd go over would be:
-Oklahoma laws concerning trapping-plenty of them and necessary
-Trap styles and variations- footholds, dog proofs, and cage traps
-Trap preparation
-Species habits for coons, coyotes, bobcats (you'll catch plenty of skunks and opossums by accident, lol)
-How not to catch as many skunks and opossums, lol.
-Trap locations and sets
-What to do after a catch is made
-What to do with your furs

Trapping for some is extra cash from the furs, for some it's outsmarting the predator in his own home, for some it's just fun. For me it's a combo of all of the above, my kids and I both enjoy it, it's a great time together in the woods.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very impressive! But if I were to get into trapping, it'd be to rid my yard of skunks so my dogs don't get sprayed when I walk them at night and before dawn.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great idea. I've been trapping hogs along the river for about three years. The first year I trapped the hell out of them, and for the last two years they have been damn near extinct. Still get an occasional pass through, but no longer have them raising hell on a weekly basis. Good that I haven't had to fix the hay meadows, but bad cause I really miss trapping the stupid things. Trapping can work as an effective management tool for hogs, much better than shooting them up.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am definitely interested. I trapped some in the past but it has been years ago and I have forgotten almost everything. Getting sprayed by a skunk in a live trap when I was 19 or 20 kind of cooled me off on trapping. We did it mostly to live trap racoons to train coondogs with. Now the racoons are killing me at both places I hunt, tearing up feeders, etc.. I would really like to get rid of some of them....and I would really like to catch a bobcat or two. One of the farms I hunt has hogs, dont see em often but I get lots of nighttime pics, so I am interested in the trapping concept for hogs to. I have a six year old boy, it may be too early to get him involved, you tell me....he loves to fish and go to the farm, I just worry anything I catch in a live trap he will want to make a "pet" out of....lol not happening.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Great idea. I've been trapping hogs along the river for about three years. The first year I trapped the hell out of them, and for the last two years they have been damn near extinct. Still get an occasional pass through, but no longer have them raising hell on a weekly basis. Good that I haven't had to fix the hay meadows, but bad cause I really miss trapping the stupid things. Trapping can work as an effective management tool for hogs, much better than shooting them up.

This nonsense should cease immediately. We don't need more trappers bringing in more pelts driving the price of furs down and supplies up!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am definitely interested. I trapped some in the past but it has been years ago and I have forgotten almost everything. Getting sprayed by a skunk in a live trap when I was 19 or 20 kind of cooled me off on trapping. We did it mostly to live trap racoons to train coondogs with. Now the racoons are killing me at both places I hunt, tearing up feeders, etc.. I would really like to get rid of some of them....and I would really like to catch a bobcat or two. One of the farms I hunt has hogs, dont see em often but I get lots of nighttime pics, so I am interested in the trapping concept for hogs to. I have a six year old boy, it may be too early to get him involved, you tell me....he loves to fish and go to the farm, I just worry anything I catch in a live trap he will want to make a "pet" out of....lol not happening.

I'm thinking your son would enjoy it. Mine always have, and look forward to checking them. My daughter will soon be 10, she's going to run her own trapline with me this winter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom