BREAKING: Justices Rule That 2nd Amendment Also Governs State and Local Gun Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you don't think the states rights are violated by incorporation of the 1-A, but it is a violation to incorporate the 2-A. Your logic seems flawed to me.

Dustin,

I agree, and will further expand on that by saying:

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

I believe I, and the courts, think Amendment II and Right to Keep and Bear Arms is here being delegated as a power of the United States to enforce and may not be infringed by the State or the states.

If Cook County or the State of Illinois wanted to take away driver's licenses, or alcohol, sure. But not a Constitutionally-delegated power, the power to ensure people have a right for a handgun for self defense by way Amendment II.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On an unrelated note to the above discussion, Mr. Daley sounds like a stand up guy:bah:

For example, a few years ago he ended the debate over whether a small airport along Lake Michigan should be turned into a park as he wanted by dispatching bulldozers in the middle of the night to carve huge X-shaped divots in the runway.

Forget the possibility of someone accidentally trying to USE that runway and ground-looping the freaking plane they are landing, I want my darn park!

What a jerk.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My logic? Humm, well lets see here from what I have already said.

I said the SCOTUS should have no business telling you me, county, city, states, what, where, when, how, we can enforce any laws we please.

People seem to forget that the 2A and all other laws can be regulated on the state level. Constitution is a chain for the federal not the state gubberment.

Hence forth the phrase, Chitowns business is none of theirs. Remember those laws are wrote by people the Town of Chicago keeps electing. Though I am in support of the fact it gets the message out.

The second amendment isn't a law.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if you were trying to make a joke or insult me just wondering?

My first question was indeed a question, the second question was a bit of sarcastic humor, my insults are much more blunt and direct and if they don't get me a timeout they are blatant enough to get me a stern warning from a moderator.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People seem to forget that the 2A and all other laws can be regulated on the state level.

I agree with this, as does the SCOTUS. However, regulation does not mean elimination, and the premise of MacDonald v. Chicago was, and I quote the 1st page of the Decision (emphasis mine):

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf said:
Chicago (hereinafter City) and the village of Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, have laws effectively banning handgun possession by almost all private citizens.

Since the right was in their mind not reasonably regulated, but rather eliminated, as it was also found in Heller v DC. Therefore they demanded the lower court rehear the case.

I understand that some may have a different option of regulation of our laws, including the Bill of Rights, but in this instance it is the the SCOTUS's option that matters, and they said the RKBA was not regulated but rather outright denied by the handgun ban.

Justice Thomas even said it more clearly than the majority opinion:

Instead, the right to keep and bear arms is a privilege of American citizenship that applies to the States throughthe Fourteenth Amendment’s Privileges or Immunities Clause.

Which reads:

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States

And in his judicial opinion, the 2nd Amendment is one that is a privilege of the Citizens of the Unites States. The Chicago law was effectively encroaching upon this, in the eyes of Justice Thomas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom