Cops Barge Into Calif. Parents’ Home, Take Their Baby After They Seek 2nd Medical Op.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so you know, I'm sure the police weren't the lead agency.....In my experience DHS will get an ORDER from a judge to take the children. Usually the police are only there to preserve the peace.....I'm sure they didn't just walk in and grab the kid for shits and giggles people.....c'mon. Because we know the media is ALWAYS telling the truth. I swear I'm getting tired of hearing people piss and moan.....What do expect it effing CA.....and in my experience, it only happens when the child is in grave danger.....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just so you know, I'm sure the police weren't the lead agency.....In my experience DHS will get an ORDER from a judge to take the children. Usually the police are only there to preserve the peace.....I'm sure they didn't just walk in and grab the kid for shits and giggles people.....c'mon. Because we know the media is ALWAYS telling the truth. I swear I'm getting tired of hearing people piss and moan.....What do expect it effing CA.....

Your exactly correct. The DHS was the lead on this deal that I'm talking about.
Leo's were there to make sure there wasn't a problem.

What really sucks, and like in the OP, even though it was bogus, the DHS still make the dad go through "anger management" classes because he bucked up to the OKLA DHS agent.

What dad/mom wouldn't when they knock on the door and your kids go away with armed men making sure it happened??

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two things I hate about my job......having to remove children from their family (most of the time it is warranted) and hearing everyone tell me how to do my job....Armchair quarterbacks piss me off.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think this can't happen in Ok.

We had a family member get into an argument with an inlaw relative, and got turned into the DHS.

Police and DHS rep showed up at the front door one night. They took the kids and it took awhile to settle it.

In Ok, all somebody has to do is report you for abuse.

Guilty or not, they will take your kids, and if you want to die in the process, go ahead and be a Rambo .

The DHS has way too much authority.

Yep all DHS or Child protective services will say is it is an emergency. Then worry about proving it later after they have the kid. Sad thing is every year kids die because they don't take some kids with unfit parents, but take too many kids from good parents. When it comes to kids the laws are very one sided whether it is child custody/support or taking kids from parents.

For those who yell and scream about home invasion and what they would do. Fighting with the police and or DHS agents is a good way to never see your kids again and spend a long time in jail.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to be a little circumspect with my comments but here goes...

First, I am not a dedicated complainer about government, I spent an entire career as a military officer and now work for the government as a civilian. My wife works as a volunteer case worker in an organization that frequently deals with DHS and my assessment is that I have never seen such a dysfunctional, self-serving, organizational imperative oriented organization as OK DHS (and I hail originally from NY the Mecca of dysfunctional organizations).

Even worse though, is that once DHS, for good or ill, has their hooks into a parent it is very, very difficult for the parents(s) to get out from under the cloud of suspicion, or even more seriously regain control of their lives and their family. DHS seems, to me, to function on a fairly arbitrary basis with standards for starting or terminating interventions in people's private lives varying widely from case to case. In addition, DHS seems very susceptible (perhaps because of current limited accountability to a strong executive) to political pressure to amend findings or create barriers as is expedient to "please" influential authorities. What I have learned most from being an outside observer is that any government agency must be watched like a hawk because once power to intervene in people's lives is ceded the tendency to intervene, arbitrarily and capriciously at times, becomes overwhelming.

One can certainly argue that some government intervention is necessary from time to time with bad parents, but the companion to that should be that any intervention capability has to be guided by clear and consistent principles (due process) with accountability for the agency and clear appeals processes and rights for parents.

Sorry - rant off.

Last edited:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two things I hate about my job......having to remove children from their family (most of the time it is warranted) and hearing everyone tell me how to do my job....Armchair quarterbacks piss me off.

I don't see where anyone singled you out about how to do your job. It is about holding everyone accountable, parents, DHS and LEO. To be honest lately, I get more and more of a seperatist feeling from your posts. LEO without accountability can be tyranny also. You are in the career you chose because you chose it, and I appreciate it, however, be careful not to feel elitist, or develop an us versus them attitude. Cops are cops, just like a janitor is a janitor. No disgrace either way, both are service positions and both are needed.

Back on topic, it is sad that the extremes are the only times this is publicized. Either it is when they fail, or when they overstep does it garner attention. We need to empower someone onsite to determine if there is abuse, not just blindly follow the direction of a judge that heard one side of an issue.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to be a little circumspect with my comments but here goes...

First, I am not a dedicated complainer about government, I spent an entire career as a military officer and now work for the government as a civilian. My wife works as a volunteer case worker in an organization that frequently deals with DHS and my assessment is that I never seen such a dysfunctional, self-serving, organizational imperative oriented organization as OK DHS (and I hail originall from NY the Mecca of dysfunctional organizations).

Even worse though, is that once DHS, for good or ill, has their hooks into a parent it is very, very difficult for the parents(s) to get out from under the cloud of suspicion, or even more seriously regain control of their lives and their family. DHS seems, to me, to function on a fairly arbitrary basis with standards for starting or terminating interventions in people's private lives varying widely from case to case. In addition, DHS seems very susceptible (perhaps because of current limited accountability to a strong executive) to political pressure to amend findings or create barriers as is expedient to "please" influential authorities. What I have learned most from being an outside observer is that any government agency must be watched like a hawk because once power to intervene in people's lives is ceded the tendency to intervene, arbitrarily and capriciously at times, becomes overwhelming.

One can certainly argue that some government intervention is necessary from time to time with bad parents, but the companion to that should be that any intervention capability has to be guided by clear and consistent principles (due process) with accountability for the agency and clear appeals processes and rights for parents.

Sorry - rant off.

I'd say that's a pretty good assessment of the situation. But in truth it only scratches the surface of the problem.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your exactly correct. The DHS was the lead on this deal that I'm talking about.
Leo's were there to make sure there wasn't a problem.

What really sucks, and like in the OP, even though it was bogus, the DHS still make the dad go through "anger management" classes because he bucked up to the OKLA DHS agent.

What dad/mom wouldn't when they knock on the door and your kids go away with armed men making sure it happened??

Yes the part in bold is usually how it works, funny thing is that's not the "official story" given to our legislature to explain why OK. takes more kids than most states.

The following is from the $40,000 performance audit,(can't have a financial audit) of OKDHS.

[In Oklahoma law enforcement is charged with the physical removal of children from their homes in child protection cases. Moreover, under “standing orders” in Tulsa and Oklahoma Counties, which are explicitly allowed in statute, including the proposed revision of Title 10, police can remove children without prior case specific judicial approval and without DHS participation of any kind, yet put them under the jurisdiction of the Department by placing them in the state-operated shelters. While law enforcement is permitted to remove children in most states, Oklahoma is nearly unique both in prohibiting DHS from doing so, and in not requiring its involvement in assuming custody. The result is that social work decisions about child safety are being made by law enforcement, not by the social workers. In addition, DHS cannot overturn those decisions without court approval.]

Latest posts

Top Bottom