Building a new reloading set up- Suggestions anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do a good bit of reloading, but I was into heavy magnum rifle loads. I just sold some extra gear online, so I have around $800 to play with. I am leaning towards the lee cast turret. I'll primarily be loading .45 acp, but will eventually pick up 40 s&w & 9mm as well.

I've been putting up WTB ads up but haven't gotten any bites. The local shops have nothing at all. So looks like I will be buying new. I don't need to load 1,000 rounds/hour, but single stage takes too much time & bench space. Oh, btw, I live in an apt now, so prefer to keep as small a footprint as possible.

Let me know what you use, or what you recommend. I appreciate the input!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I would go with a turret press. I just bought one on Ebay. It's a Lyman turret. If you are in OKC go to H&H, they have one on display. Amazon dot com has a reasonably good selection and really good prices. Or if you are up to a little drive and want to go to Cabelas just north of Fort Worth, that's a good place to go. What general area do you live in?

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am by Lawton for now. Work there, & sometimes in OKC.

Really prefer to get a used set up, figure you can get the little extras for under retail, but I can't find anything right now. Even have been going to storage unit auctions, but have only found shot shell set ups.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Dillon 550 and love it. It is a progressive with interchangable tools heads. Very easy to use and to change calibers. There are a few great deals on Ebay at the moment. There is even one that has all you need as a package deal. Dillon also has a lifetime warrenty and stand by their product. Never heard any complaints from others. Just my 2cents.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are loading pistol and not using a progressive it can become a chore. I can get on a Dillon 550 and ,in a hour, load enough of a given caliber to last me a month. I use single stage for my handloads and reload everything else on the Dillon. Rather you use a Progressive or a Turret comes down to one thing. How valuable is your time?

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550b...388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f21fe1944

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-RL-5...692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337fbbb754

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DILLON-RL-5...529?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6c423201

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-RL-5...069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2203c13d

Here are a few links to the ones for sale on Ebay. Also check out the Dillon website and read up on them. Ask around you will probably go big blue. Horniday and lee dies are cheaper than Dillon dies but they will work in a Dillon. Others will probably chime in on their favorites.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info guys, & thanks for the links! I hate eBay, & PayPal for that manner. I was a power seller until they froze my account with thousands in it, which screwed me bad.

Regardless, I'll take a look for sure.

I am resisting the blue side, but will probably head that way. I don't mind the time, I work 85 - 110 hours a week, so reloading will be my hobby & therapy, all rolled into one... Last time I reloaded it was for 1,500+ meter long gun, so I used to not mind spending 10 min per shell, prob an issue with handgun though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Hornady lock and load AP puts hundreds of rounds out for me monthly to shoot matches. Their customer service is also great. Changes between calibers takes minutes.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but IMHO you really need to start with a single stage. You'll learn the basics that way. And safety!!!!!!
Later you can get a progressive.

You need to get with someone who already reloads to give you some basics. Got a buddy who does?

H&H offers a reloading class. Call them and talk to the reloading department. It's $50 well spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom