Building a new reloading set up- Suggestions anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Lyman turret press that I bought new 20 years ago and I love it. Dads old Lyman turret press is still like new after all these years. He bought it used in 73 or 74 and I will pass it on to my daughter one of these days when she starts loading.

I have a Lyman T-Mag also that I bought in the late 80s. It is a great fit in between a standard press and a progressive. I'm in the market for a LnL progressive, but the Lyman will be staying on the bench also.
A Second turret keeps everything I need ready to go.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a Lee Classic Turret years ago for .38/357. I've since moved all of my 38/357 to a progressive, and now use the turret for .45lc, .308, .303, 30-30, and some other rifle calibers. It's construction is well up to the task of loading rifle calibers at well under the price of any competitor. Be sure to get some extra auto-index bushings as that is definitely the weak-link in the Lee Turret designs.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For limited space and carpeted floors particularly, it can be a good idea to put a metal cookie sheet under your press. The low lip won't get in the way, but it will catch any errant powder and keep it off the floor.

Cookie sheets are cheap and come in a variety of sizes and shapes. I did see one pizza pan used for the same purpose, and it appeared to work well. All of my Mec shotshell reloaders are on heavy plywood bases with a cookie sheet between the plywood and the base. I can clamp these to any bench, which makes them very portable.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Dillon 550 and love it. It is a progressive with interchangable tools heads. Very easy to use and to change calibers. There are a few great deals on Ebay at the moment. There is even one that has all you need as a package deal. Dillon also has a lifetime warrenty and stand by their product. Never heard any complaints from others. Just my 2cents.

I just used my buddy's 550b to reload some 9mm. It was okay. A little buggy but okay. His was doing some goofy stuff, like the shellplate screw kept tightening up and the primer bar was sticking. And I thought it was kind of lame that you have to spin the shell plate by hand on the 550. With all that I definitely wasn't able to meet the quota that people claim though. I did like 250 in 2 hours. I'm really thinking about the Hornady AP but I've heard they have their issues too. I just don't know. I do like that you can order a whole package through Eno's site. I wish there was something like that for the other progressive presses out there too.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used most of them and they all make ammo. As far as progressives I currently have 2 dillons and a Lee ready. Some work better than others, but they all work. I still gravitate back to my single stages the most. I just enjoy the feel of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom