Building a new reloading set up- Suggestions anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but IMHO you really need to start with a single stage. You'll learn the basics that way. And safety!!!!!!
Later you can get a progressive.

You need to get with someone who already reloads to give you some basics. Got a buddy who does?

H&H offers a reloading class. Call them and talk to the reloading department. It's $50 well spent.

As stated above, I am getting back into reloading. Got 6+ years experience of competition long gun, & I reloaded for all my matches.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF I where going to buy a progressive type press it would be a hornady. No "blue" dies to buy you can use anything on them. Buy the bushings to make caliber swap simple and easy. They can be found for around 450 otd with no shell plate or dies. I only load rifle so a single stage works perfect for me. But when I use up my current stocks of 45 acp ill prob buy a lnl progressive. But I too am limited on space and my bench is full. But good luck finding one at the moment. The crazies have started buying and hoarding presses and components as well. Which might mean you can pick up a gently used one sometime in the future I know a couple of people that have bought presses and hardly used them figured out that its dangerous and requires time and attention to detail and haven't touched them since. But it depends on how quick you need one.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Hornady lock and load AP puts hundreds of rounds out for me monthly to shoot matches. Their customer service is also great. Changes between calibers takes minutes.

I have one too Dennis and it beats the Dillon hands down. Far less time to change calibers... JMO I have had both...

sting75ray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do a good bit of reloading, but I was into heavy magnum rifle loads. I just sold some extra gear online, so I have around $800 to play with. I am leaning towards the lee cast turret. I'll primarily be loading .45 acp, but will eventually pick up 40 s&w & 9mm as well.

I've been putting up WTB ads up but haven't gotten any bites. The local shops have nothing at all. So looks like I will be buying new. I don't need to load 1,000 rounds/hour, but single stage takes too much time & bench space. Oh, btw, I live in an apt now, so prefer to keep as small a footprint as possible.

Let me know what you use, or what you recommend. I appreciate the input!

I have a Lyman turret press that I bought new 20 years ago and I love it. Dads old Lyman turret press is still like new after all these years. He bought it used in 73 or 74 and I will pass it on to my daughter one of these days when she starts loading.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turret presses are great. I have two Lyman T-Mag presses, but if I were going to do much pistol shooting, I would go with a progressive press.

Actually with the quick change setups for dies now available, a single stage press can be nearly as fast as a turret. Turrets are all about preserving die settings. Since most of my reloading is for rifles, I don't need the speed of a progressive. Only pistol I currently load for is .44 Mag., and I batch load, usually 50 at a time.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one too Dennis and it beats the Dillon hands down. Far less time to change calibers... JMO I have had both...

I'll do a little research in that direction. I exclusively used their bullets when I shot extreme distance, & I trust their products.

Genew, it's ok, I agree completely with you, & if I were a newbie, I would do exactly that. I just knew I would get a lot of the same info when I posted this, so I preempted by stating I wasn't new to it. With that said, I am new to handgun reloading, hence the request for advice. Wish I could meet someone experienced & local & load a hundred rounds on their machine to see if it suits me before I she'll out a ton of money and realized I have buyers remorse 2 months later....

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll do a little research in that direction. I exclusively used their bullets when I shot extreme distance, & I trust their products.

Genew, it's ok, I agree completely with you, & if I were a newbie, I would do exactly that. I just knew I would get a lot of the same info when I posted this, so I preempted by stating I wasn't new to it. With that said, I am new to handgun reloading, hence the request for advice. Wish I could meet someone experienced & local & load a hundred rounds on their machine to see if it suits me before I she'll out a ton of money and realized I have buyers remorse 2 months later....

In my opinion it always pays to look around....

Latest posts

Top Bottom