Buying a varmit rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked at it - my neighbor bought one just about like it a few years ago in .22-250. It has stainless fluted barrel. I was with him first time he shot it- first centerfire rifle and first time to load rifle ammo. 60 grain bullet over H380 shot super tight groups. Mde me put my old Remington 700 away...

:respect:

Cedar Creek

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Over the years I've gotten away from heavy rifles for varmint hunting. Light, short is what I really like now, so much better to haul around and handle during the stand. A light bolt action, most likely the lightest, cheapest Savage you can find in .223. Even hunting 99% open country, I seldom if ever have shots over 150y, and most are under 100y.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With your budget look at a howa ranchland combo. Comes with pretty good glass I had one in .22-250 that I wish I still had it. But I sold it to fund a custom build. That I love.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I have considered other calibers, however, with the cheap price and extreme ease of tracking down a box of .223, I'm pretty sure it is going to be what I stick with. I went by H and H today, and had a look at what they have on hand. I got to hold and handle a mossberg mvp, I believe it was a a thunder ranch model. Or some lame name like that. I was very impressed with it, it feels pretty sturdy, which is good because it will see a lot of abuse. One thing that worries me is that there seems to be a lot of bolt slop. I'm not too sure if that is a good or bad thing. When the bolt is locked down it felt solid, however, while cycling it the bolt had a ton of play in it. I'm not too familiar with bolt guns. My experience is based off of a Tikka t3 hunter with a Sako made action. Which to my understanding, has an absolutely phenomenal action.

While checking around at H and H I also looked at a Ruger Bolt action .223, not sure of the model number, and a CZ. I wasn't a big fan of the Ruger, but was pretty partial to the CZ, however it was out of my price range, and looked a bit too pretty to take out and abuse.

Also, I figure that I could spend 600 on the rifle (however I'm not adverse to spending 350-400 for something decent and used) and 150-200 on glass, which would leave me with spending about 50 bucks for a cheap bipod or shooting stick. So 800-850 total. Just to clarify.

I have looked at the Nikon p223, and I'm thinking that would be my choice. Thoughts? Also, thoughts on Barska scopes? They seem pretty cheap, but it's not like I need to put 200-500 bucks worth of glass on a 400-600 dollar rifle. Maybe 2k on glass for a 4k rifle, but no such ratios on a low end plinking/critter getter/truck gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I have considered other calibers, however, with the cheap price and extreme ease of tracking down a box of .223, I'm pretty sure it is going to be what I stick with. I went by H and H today, and had a look at what they have on hand. I got to hold and handle a mossberg mvp, I believe it was a a thunder ranch model. Or some lame name like that. I was very impressed with it, it feels pretty sturdy, which is good because it will see a lot of abuse. One thing that worries me is that there seems to be a lot of bolt slop. I'm not too sure if that is a good or bad thing. When the bolt is locked down it felt solid, however, while cycling it the bolt had a ton of play in it. I'm not too familiar with bolt guns. My experience is based off of a Tikka t3 hunter with a Sako made action. Which to my understanding, has an absolutely phenomenal action.

While checking around at H and H I also looked at a Ruger Bolt action .223, not sure of the model number, and a CZ. I wasn't a big fan of the Ruger, but was pretty partial to the CZ, however it was out of my price range, and looked a bit too pretty to take out and abuse.

Also, I figure that I could spend 600 on the rifle (however I'm not adverse to spending 350-400 for something decent and used) and 150-200 on glass, which would leave me with spending about 50 bucks for a cheap bipod or shooting stick. So 800-850 total. Just to clarify.

I have looked at the Nikon p223, and I'm thinking that would be my choice. Thoughts? Also, thoughts on Barska scopes? They seem pretty cheap, but it's not like I need to put 200-500 bucks worth of glass on a 400-600 dollar rifle. Maybe 2k on glass for a 4k rifle, but no such ratios on a low end plinking/critter getter/truck gun.

Get an AR in .223 and all of your issues are solved.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look for a AR15. There are many out there that will fit your budget. A Center Point scope from WalMart is inexpensive and works well, if you spend more on the rifle than you wanted to. It's easy to upgrade scopes as you get the money.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, most people serious about accuracy double their rifle budget on glass FYI. A $1k rifle wears $2k in glass.

I just can't make myself get that serious for 200-300 yards. Shooting 800 yards+ AND shooting at those distances often, then I could see the need for high dollar glass.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't had one of the Savage or Stevens rifles, but I have three of the Ruger American rifles and can vouch for their accuracy. The heavy barreled rifles are probably good for prairie dogs when you fire a lot of shots, but I call coyotes a lot and light is the way to go. I just set up one last night; Ruger American .22-250 rifle with a Leupold VX-I scope. I like .223, but I have a bunch of .22-250 stuff and the Ruger American has a 1-10 twist barrel - my old Remington 700 is 1-14 twist and loves light bullets, but accuracy drops off when I go heavier than 50 grains. The old one loves 40 grain bullets, so I will use the new one with all the 55 grain and above bullets I have in stock.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

And I have a little over $500 in scope & rifle on the Ruger American.

Latest posts

Top Bottom