Buying first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since home defense is one of your requirements, for 200 clams I'd go get a used 12ga 870 or Mossberg 500...it will be far more effective and reliable in that role than any $200 dollar pistol, unless you get lucky.

No question. I would definitely get a shotgun if $200 is the budget. It's better for home defense anyway.

KrashKing405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanting a pistol, saw the CZ-82, and thought about it a bit. MAYBE I can find something, if not was worth a shot. What if I opened to all but .22 caliber? Could I find anything decent then in my price range?

Last edited:

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're pretty much limited to hi-points in that price range for those calibers. Add another 100 and you might be able to get a pocket 9mm like a keltec or a used S&W Sigma. You might be able to score a Sigma for $250 if you wait and look hard enough. However, you really do want to buy once and cry once. Especially in a home defense weapon. Save about $400-$500 if you can and then buy a handgun then.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shotgun for home defense. Wally World sells shotties all day long pretty cheap. Forget the $200 range of pistols unless you find a good milsurp (CZ-82, Tokarev, Makarov) or an exceptional deal.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first pistol for home defense and range shooting, and looking for some advice. I have a limited budget of $200. I want something in the 9mm, .40, or .45 caliber. Any suggestions on what I might want to look at/for or a place in the Norman/OKC area to buy from, or avoid would be great.

If you want a new pistol under $200, Hi-Point is the way to go. If you can afford $250-275 we can get you in a very nice pre-owned full size pistol, Smith & Wesson or Ruger. Check out our website and it's got a full, up to date list of our firearm inventory. www.SoonerStatePawn.com

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if you borrowed another $200 from a friend and paid them $50/month over the next 4 months?

My issue with buying a $200 pistol for home defense is the chances the gun will be something you could bet your life on will be slim. There are hundreds of people who have claimed hi-points with plenty of rounds through them but there are also some with serious issues. If I am betting my life on it, I want a service weapon. A full size Glock, S&W M&P pistol, etc. $400 will get you into a used M&P or Glock.

Seriously, think about what you are asking of this pistol, think on it, and then think "Is my life worth more than $200?" I dont even know you and being a member of OSA automatically puts your worth above $200. Please save or come up with more money somehow. Sooner State Pawn does layaway I believe. Put $200 down and then make payments til you get the gun you really want and can comfortably bet your life on. There is no shame in layaway, people do it all the time.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ripnbst said:
What if you borrowed another $200 from a friend and paid them $50/month over the next 4 months?

My issue with buying a $200 pistol for home defense is the chances the gun will be something you could bet your life on will be slim. There are hundreds of people who have claimed hi-points with plenty of rounds through them but there are also some with serious issues. If I am betting my life on it, I want a service weapon. A full size Glock, S&W M&P pistol, etc. $400 will get you into a used M&P or Glock.

Seriously, think about what you are asking of this pistol, think on it, and then think "Is my life worth more than $200?" I dont even know you and being a member of OSA automatically puts your worth above $200. Please save or come up with more money somehow. Sooner State Pawn does layaway I believe. Put $200 down and then make payments til you get the gun you really want and can comfortably bet your life on.

^^^^^this.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tommy at Sooner State Pawn will treat you right. He won't sell you somebody else's problem. Great selection and a great guy.

That Ruger 95 would be awesome at $320. The Kel-Tec PF-9 would be a good starter too. Either of those would serve you well. Don't go Taurus.

Plus, Tommy offers layaway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom