Buying first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does not have to be new, used would be fine as long as in good condition, something you wouldn't mind using to defend YOUR home.

NOT HI-POINT!!! NOT TAURUS!!!

Did I mention NOT HI-POINT, NOT TAURUS?

Stick with a used Ruger, S&W, Glock, Springfield, CZ, FN or Baretta and you'll be fine. Another great used gun is the Sig Pro 2022. You can even buy them new for $400.

You need to change your mindset. Don't think of a $400 handgun as costing twice as much as a $200 handgun. The value of a $400 gun far exceeds the worth of its cheaper cousin. The $200 handgun is $200 for a reason.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a home defense gun right? Save the extra money, borrow the extra money, find a place that will let you put a gun on layaway......ANYTHING but limiting yourself to a $200 gun. I don't know you but I'll bet you and your loved ones value your life at more than $200. Find a way to afford a quality gun that is good enough to bet your life on. Rugers, S&W, Colt, Beretta, Glock...there are a lot of great used guns out there for $300-$400, find a way to afford one and I promise you will be much happier in the long run. Good luck!!!!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something else to add, if you buy used and then decide one day to upgrade the resale on Glock, S&W, Colt, Ruger etc will be much higher (percentage wise vs price paid) than a Hi-point, Jiminez, Taurus, etc.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would give plasma before i bought a hi point or a 200.00 dollar pistol to defend my home!!! dude save alittle more cheddar and get a pf 9 keltec atleast!!!!!!

you may be better off with a handful of rocks than you are with a hi point!!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen some Taurus bashing in this thread that surprises me. I only have experience with a few of their wheelguns & the Taurus knock off of the Beretta 92 and I had only good experiences with them. I kinda put Taurus wheelies on par with Rossi, not the quality of a S&W but functional & reliable.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP please listen to these guys. Ripnbst hit the nail on the head. Your life is worth more than what a $200 home defense handgun can offer you. I have seen the hipoints jam every three rounds first hand.

I don't want to echo everyone else too much, so I will move on to a different piece of advice. When shopping for your first handgun take your time with this process. Go to a gun store with no intent to make a purchase on the spot and just handle all the guns you can until you find a couple that stand out. *Then come home and read some reviews about the guns and get a GOOD understanding of the going rate for that gun, that way when you come across it in the wild you can avoid being ripped off (ie gun shows etc). Or to keep it simple when buying new if you can beat buds gun shop by a couple tens of dollars it will usually be a very solid deal.

If you are set at about $200 then buy a shotgun so you can adequately protect your house for the time being (that's how I started out).

You have been on OSA longer than I but you just started speaking up, welcome and glad to have you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom