Buying land for back taxes???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys seem to be arguing the 'details' of my example as opposed to the 'idea'.
Regardless of how many years it'd take.... or what percentage% is deemed legal.

The state will get it's money - one way or another. Just have the state put a lien against it (with interest, and priority for repayment).
1) FORECLOSING on property over a relatively small amount of money doesn't fit the crime. (IMHO)
2) Why can the state FORECLOSE on property with relatively little effort (to collect dues), when ANYBODY ELSE does not have the same equal right? (builders/contractors have to jump thru many legal hoops)

Are you saying you're ok with the state foreclosing on your fully paid-off property for some measly amount of money? (as opposed to a lien?)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys seem to be arguing the 'details' of my example as opposed to the 'idea'.
Regardless of how many years it'd take.... or what percentage% is deemed legal.

The state will get it's money - one way or another. Just have the state put a lien against it (with interest, and priority for repayment).
1) FORECLOSING on property over a relatively small amount of money doesn't fit the crime. (IMHO)] (quote)

if this was the case no one would ever pay their taxes. the threat of losing your prperty finally makes the deadbeat go down and pay it. when you go to the auction 90% of the junk that comes up is things like a strip 5 feet wide and 300 feet long next too a railroad right of way or some other useless piece somebody got tired of mowing.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some cars I'd like to take possession of due to unpaid tags... :D

<edit> How many years would it take of unpaid taxes for a piece of property to accrue 50+% of its value in arrears?

I don't know, really, but I'd think it'd be a heck of a long time...

And who would be maintaining the property while those taxes accrue? Cutting grass, keeping vandals out, storm repairs? I'm sure that wouldn't happen for free.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...
The state should follow the same rules/regulations that anyone else has the rights to do. (For this topic).
I also think selling off someones property (without their permission) for a relatively small amount of money is undue punishment that doesn't fit the crime.
The goal of the legal process is to match the appropriate punishment with the crime.

Maintenance?? The state doesn't maintain private property. So it'll still be the same person that own the property.
If it's your negligent neighbor with tall weeds, then you're free to call the city on them - or take them to court. ....Just like you've always had the right to do.

As for dead-beat POS owners that neglect property, I suppose there'll always be those people. But do we all think that's *all* of the cases?
...Or some average people that forget and fall behind, and then loose the property due to greedy tax-squatters.

I think it's wrong, and is borderline 'legal-theft'.
It's fairly apparent I'm in the minority here, so I'll let it go.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...

Maintenance?? The state doesn't maintain private property. So it'll still be the same person that own the property.
If it's your negligent neighbor with tall weeds, then you're free to call the city on them - or take them to court. ....Just like you've always had the right to do.

As for dead-beat POS owners that neglect property, I suppose there'll always be those people. But do we all think that's *all* of the cases?
...Or some average people that forget and fall behind, and then loose the property due to greedy tax-squatters.

I think it's wrong, and is borderline 'legal-theft'.
It's fairly apparent I'm in the minority here, so I'll let it go.

do you even own a piece of property?
most of the properties we are talking about the people don't maintain them, pay the taxes,pay the mortgage if there is one. when the grass gets 3 feet high the city or county comes and mows it. they also come haul off the trash and debris abandoned on the property. all these cost money and the city/county tacks that onto the tax bill.

nobodys getting a $100k house for $50

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do you even own a piece of property?
most of the properties we are talking about the people don't maintain them, pay the taxes,pay the mortgage if there is one. when the grass gets 3 feet high the city or county comes and mows it. they also come haul off the trash and debris abandoned on the property. all these cost money and the city/county tacks that onto the tax bill.

nobodys getting a $100k house for $50

But there are numerous examples of people buying unimproved land at Sheriff's sales for about half price. I think that's the gripe. I see both sides of it. If I had some land that was willed to me, or some other circumstance, where I didn't know about it, why should the state get to sell it just for the back taxes? If they sell a 500 acre parcel for $1000/acre, where true market value is $2000/acre, and I owed $3000 in back taxes, do I get a check for the balance? And what about the other $1000/acre I lost by them selling it through a Sheriff's auction instead of a traditional sale?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tax lien sales and sheriff sales are two completely different things. at least here in Tulsa county.
the sheriff sells forclosures and an independent auctioneer sells the tax lien sales.

a couple questions, if I offered a $1000 gun in the classifieds for $300 would you pass on it?
just because I am desperate for cash or don't know the market value would you pass on it and inform me its too cheap or keep your mouth shut and giggle all the way home? no different in my opinion.
Doctorjj, you would cut me a check for the difference cause you felt bad?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tax lien sales and sheriff sales are two completely different things. at least here in Tulsa county.
the sheriff sells forclosures and an independent auctioneer sells the tax lien sales.

a couple questions, if I offered a $1000 gun in the classifieds for $300 would you pass on it?
just because I am desperate for cash or don't know the market value would you pass on it and inform me its too cheap or keep your mouth shut and giggle all the way home? no different in my opinion.
Doctorjj, you would cut me a check for the difference cause you felt bad?

But what if you weren't desperate for cash and this was a gun you weren't aware you owned and someone else sold it for you?

Latest posts

Top Bottom