California does strange things!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I don't believe any condors have been killed by ingesting lead bullets or fragments.

I can't find it, but I posted a real scientific study that said that bullet lead was too hard to be able to cause lead poisoning awhile back.
If they ate a bullet, they would regurgitate or pass the bullet. It doesn't dissolve in them.

The tree hugger types used junk science years ago to get this started.

Here you go. http://www.ventanaws.org/species_condors_lead/

But don't worry, it's not a "real" scientific study since it doesn't support your view.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Birds are extremely sensitive to metal poisoning. That said, placing a bird above a citizen is ignorant. This will only make hunting harder on the poor and with no "bullet stamp program", thousands will starve to death.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I don't believe any condors have been killed by ingesting lead bullets or fragments.

I can't find it, but I posted a real scientific study that said that bullet lead was too hard to be able to cause lead poisoning awhile back.
If they ate a bullet, they would regurgitate or pass the bullet. It doesn't dissolve in them.

The tree hugger types used junk science years ago to get this started.

Can't comment on the junk science but according to Tyler the park ranger I visited with this summer at the Grand Canyon the Condor stores food to be digested later. The lead leaches into their system. I then asked how they eat the lead and he explained that it was primarily from elk and deer guts. So I asked if the Condor is just a big turkey buzzard? He said yes. Then I got to see one up close and sure enough it looks like a huge ass buzzard.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't comment on the junk science but according to Tyler the park ranger I visited with this summer at the Grand Canyon the Condor stores food to be digested later. The lead leaches into their system. I then asked how they eat the lead and he explained that it was primarily from elk and deer guts. So I asked if the Condor is just a big turkey buzzard? He said yes. Then I got to see one up close and sure enough it looks like a huge ass buzzard.

How many hunters gut shoot deer and elk? I don't dig the bullets out of a deer but I don't gut shoot them either. All of the bullets I have found in deer is in the muscles or under the skin or exit the carcass completely.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many hunters gut shoot deer and elk? I don't dig the bullets out of a deer but I don't gut shoot them either. All of the bullets I have found in deer is in the muscles or under the skin or exit the carcass completely.

I suppose you are right but his claim is that lead left in the guts after field dressing is consumed by Condor is the primary reason for their death.

Latest posts

Top Bottom