Calling Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am slowly working on a 338 lapua i want to use on coyote. no need to save the hide>wink<
It’ll work great. I shot these two several years ago here in east TX with a 9.3x62 which shoots a .366 285 gr bullet.
234BFB22-786D-49A1-B813-6CFEA9726D64.jpeg

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money on electronic calls you're going to be hard pressed to beat the icotec lineup. The remote range is 300 yards minimum & the sound quality is good and loud. I ran a gc350 since before they were available for sale. They sent me one to test and evaluate & it's still working today I gave it to a guy who was just getting started last year. I'd suggest the icotec gc320 it has a built-in decoy which you'll eventually want anyway and appreciate. All predator call. Com has them the absolute cheapest at around $139

Lucky Duck rebel is similar in that it has a built-in decoy, Rick pallet from Kansas did all the sounds on it & Rick knows what he's doing. Rodgers Sporting goods has them right now for like $119.

I typically use an e caller when I'm alone or need to get the sound far away from me like extremely open terrain, I'm a hand call guy myself but sometimes I do run both.

I've used everything from 221 fireball to 25-06 but only use 223 now. I had a custom built bull barrel AR for a season but at 11 pounds I hated carrying it plus it ate to much, a savage 111sporter barreled 223 was my mainstay rifle for a long time but recently picked up a super light variant of the nef handi rifle in 223 of course & will be using it in a takedown configuration so I can put it in my backpack between sets.

One thing my old eyes need is an illuminated reticle for late evening hunts. I have a meopta Optika5 6.5-20x50 Rd that gathers light like crazy but it's over 2lbs and sits to tall on the handi rifle so it's currently running a Walmart special $36 simmons 4x32 but plan to replace it with a 1-4 illuminated scope by the end of January.

You don't need a bull barrel benchrest rifle in a true long range caliber or 24x scope in most situations here unless you call out west where it's wide open. 99% of my kill's are under 100 yards, 50 yards being common I carry a 9mm pistol and use it often but a shotgun is pretty good for quick close dirty work

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the money on electronic calls you're going to be hard pressed to beat the icotec lineup. The remote range is 300 yards minimum & the sound quality is good and loud. I ran a gc350 since before they were available for sale. They sent me one to test and evaluate & it's still working today I gave it to a guy who was just getting started last year. I'd suggest the icotec gc320 it has a built-in decoy which you'll eventually want anyway and appreciate. All predator call. Com has them the absolute cheapest at around $139

Lucky Duck rebel is similar in that it has a built-in decoy, Rick pallet from Kansas did all the sounds on it & Rick knows what he's doing. Rodgers Sporting goods has them right now for like $119.

I typically use an e caller when I'm alone or need to get the sound far away from me like extremely open terrain, I'm a hand call guy myself but sometimes I do run both.

I've used everything from 221 fireball to 25-06 but only use 223 now. I had a custom built bull barrel AR for a season but at 11 pounds I hated carrying it plus it ate to much, a savage 111sporter barreled 223 was my mainstay rifle for a long time but recently picked up a super light variant of the nef handi rifle in 223 of course & will be using it in a takedown configuration so I can put it in my backpack between sets.

One thing my old eyes need is an illuminated reticle for late evening hunts. I have a meopta Optika5 6.5-20x50 Rd that gathers light like crazy but it's over 2lbs and sits to tall on the handi rifle so it's currently running a Walmart special $36 simmons 4x32 but plan to replace it with a 1-4 illuminated scope by the end of January.

You don't need a bull barrel benchrest rifle in a true long range caliber or 24x scope in most situations here unless you call out west where it's wide open. 99% of my kill's are under 100 yards, 50 yards being common I carry a 9mm pistol and use it often but a shotgun is pretty good for quick close dirty work
Great write up!
I'm in the great NW where shotguns and pistols are a no go for the most part although I did take a bobcat in the snow with a .45ACP that walked under my tree stand late one season.
Buddy has the electronic caller that I go out with, but keep a mouth call in the backpack when in the deer stand if nothing is going on. I'll take a coyote even if a trophy deer is in the area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously?!? In all the years we’ve been on message boards together that’s got to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen you post. :scratch:
I've got more stupid stuff out there? :laugh6:
I've got plenty of trophy deer on the wall. It's not really a challenge anymore to take one in our area of 10K acres where only a couple of us hunt. They die of old age for the most part.
Coyotes are getting more of my attention these days. A lot smarter and harder to hunt.
Back when I ran cattle, we lost a lot of money with coyotes taking out the newborn at birth.
Always had a hatred for them.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got more stupid stuff out there? :laugh6:
I've got plenty of trophy deer on the wall. It's not really a challenge anymore to take one in our area of 10K acres where only a couple of us hunt. They die of old age for the most part.
Coyotes are getting more of my attention these days. A lot smarter and harder to hunt.
Back when I ran cattle, we lost a lot of money with coyotes taking out the newborn at birth.
Always had a hatred for them.
I hate hearing about those big bucks dying from old age on all that land, if I can ever help you out with that situation just let me know 😉

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate hearing about those big bucks dying from old age on all that land, if I can ever help you out with that situation just let me know 😉
The neighbor owns that land. We just hunt nearby. Family land from the Oklahoma Land run we are on.
Elk hunting kind of ruined me for whitetail. We lost our private ranch to elk hunt last year to a corporate business. Amazing experience hunting those critters.
Loaded the last 10 lbs of ground elk into the RV for a trip next year.
Got a really nice whitetail this season so that is in the freezer for next year until I can get another.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom