Calling Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also what brand any suggestions there?
if it’s double AA just look for the highest MAH (milli amp hours) at the lowest price on Amazon. Lots were on sale just before Christmas.
I’m in the process of converting everything thing I own to rechargeable.
Ni-MH requires an Ni-MH charger. Lithium requires a different charger. The two won’t mix.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if it’s double AA just look for the highest MAH (milli amp hours) at the lowest price on Amazon. Lots were on sale just before Christmas.
I’m in the process of converting everything thing I own to rechargeable.
Ni-MH requires an Ni-MH charger. Lithium requires a different charger. The two won’t mix.
I'm looking up rechargeable lithium ion AA batteries they're not cheap hopefully I can find a decent deal

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll accept that you know more than me about batteries because I don't know much at all & I will definitely take your recommendation. Appreciate the tip buddy!
I switched to the below batteries this year for my cameras, they have lasted from August until now and still going strong. The camera on my feeder probably has 20000-25000 pictures and only down one bar (Not rechargeable though). If they don't preform well with the call Ill switch it up then.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...72447886&sprefix=basics+aa+100,aps,334&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I switched to the below batteries this year for my cameras, they have lasted from August until now and still going strong. The camera on my feeder probably has 20000-25000 pictures and only down one bar (Not rechargeable though). If they don't preform well with the call Ill switch it up then.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...&sprefix=amazon+basics+aa+1.5,aps,696&sr=8-11
Hmm as cheap as those are I may have to start with them and see how mine does as well. Let me know how your caller works for you. Once I get mine powered up I'm going to play with it here at home, test the remote range and hopefully get it to the woods soon

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lucky Duck Riot came in without any technique suggestions. So what do I do? Just choose a call and let it go on a loop? Let it run a few minutes, then pause for a while?

Any suggestions on how to actually hunt would be appreciated.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Lucky Duck Riot came in without any technique suggestions. So what do I do? Just choose a call and let it go on a loop? Let it run a few minutes, then pause for a while?

Any suggestions on how to actually hunt would be appreciated.
Here's how I'd do it if I was just running an electric call.

Start out with a generic rabbit distress "most" e calls will play a short session first then automatically pause then play again a little later.

There's a million scenarios that would dictate what I'd do at the first pause but to simplify I'd stop it with the remote and scan with my eyes while listening for coyotes coming especially behind me. If nothing showed up in 5 minutes I'd let it play again and repeat the pause/scan/listen

But if you just want simple just let it play while you watch.

If your calling area hasn't been called in before rabbit distress is probably as good as anything. If it's been pressured I start with grey fox distress or woodpecker distress with an e caller, grey fox distress is my best call all around where I hunt because there's lots of fox & coyotes are always after them.

When deer start dropping fawns I start with fawn distress

I'm no expert but I've been coyote hunting most of my life and I hunt pretty regularly so I'll help all I can

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's how I'd do it if I was just running an electric call.

Start out with a generic rabbit distress "most" e calls will play a short session first then automatically pause then play again a little later.

There's a million scenarios that would dictate what I'd do at the first pause but to simplify I'd stop it with the remote and scan with my eyes while listening for coyotes coming especially behind me. If nothing showed up in 5 minutes I'd let it play again and repeat the pause/scan/listen

But if you just want simple just let it play while you watch.

If your calling area hasn't been called in before rabbit distress is probably as good as anything. If it's been pressured I start with grey fox distress or woodpecker distress with an e caller, grey fox distress is my best call all around where I hunt because there's lots of fox & coyotes are always after them.

When deer start dropping fawns I start with fawn distress

I'm no expert but I've been coyote hunting most of my life and I hunt pretty regularly so I'll help all I can
Great info. How long do you typically wait before you move to a different spot?

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info. How long do you typically wait before you move to a different spot?
That's difficult to give a straight answer because of variables such as wind, temp, time of year, terrain type & familiarity of the place I'm calling but I'll try & keep it short.

If I'm going to a place that's heavily covered & the action is going to be quick and close I might not stay there 10 minutes if it's just getting daylight,but I might stay 30 minutes if it's noon & I'm pulling one off his bed.

If I'm hunting north of me on a big ranch with huge open pasture where cover is way off & the coyote might have to travel a mile or two to reach me obviously I'll stay longer than a place with tons of cover.

If I've beat a place to death trying to get every last coyote off from around somebody's house I'll stick it out longer & throw out some stuff I don't use daily like starting out with puppy distress and just keep on calling session after session. Even the most educated coyote can only listen to pup distress for so long before he at least wants to check it out from a safe distance

Latest posts

Top Bottom