Calling Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always went with my buddy that has a fox pro but he's not real good about maintenance. Won't buy new batteries and forgets to charge the ones he has before going even though I call and remind him the day before. Now he can't find the cover for the remote when he actually recharged those batteries.
I need to get one of my own besides the mouth call. I've squeaked them in when turkey hunting by kissing the back of my hand.
Only works for the ones close at hand when the wind isn't blowing. A few over the years with the mouth call.
What I'd really like to try for is raccoons with a call to shoot vs a trap.
Who has tried this and what calls did you use? Lord knows I have plenty of the vermin and think calling them would be just as much fun as coyotes and maybe a lot more productive?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always went with my buddy that has a fox pro but he's not real good about maintenance. Won't buy new batteries and forgets to charge the ones he has before going even though I call and remind him the day before. Now he can't find the cover for the remote when he actually recharged those batteries.
I need to get one of my own besides the mouth call. I've squeaked them in when turkey hunting by kissing the back of my hand.
Only works for the ones close at hand when the wind isn't blowing. A few over the years with the mouth call.
What I'd really like to try for is raccoons with a call to shoot vs a trap.
Who has tried this and what calls did you use? Lord knows I have plenty of the vermin and think calling them would be just as much fun as coyotes and maybe a lot more productive?
I've called a couple coons in while calling creek bottoms looking for cats, just with rabbit sounds (baby cottontail on Foxpro IIRC)...the times I've tried calling them with coon sounds I've not had any luck, but usually in the winter when they might be denned up hard? But I agree, the videos I've seen look awesome when you get some to respond!

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the money on electronic calls you're going to be hard pressed to beat the icotec lineup. The remote range is 300 yards minimum & the sound quality is good and loud. I ran a gc350 since before they were available for sale. They sent me one to test and evaluate & it's still working today I gave it to a guy who was just getting started last year. I'd suggest the icotec gc320 it has a built-in decoy which you'll eventually want anyway and appreciate. All predator call. Com has them the absolute cheapest at around $139

Lucky Duck rebel is similar in that it has a built-in decoy, Rick pallet from Kansas did all the sounds on it & Rick knows what he's doing. Rodgers Sporting goods has them right now for like $119.

I typically use an e caller when I'm alone or need to get the sound far away from me like extremely open terrain, I'm a hand call guy myself but sometimes I do run both.

I've used everything from 221 fireball to 25-06 but only use 223 now. I had a custom built bull barrel AR for a season but at 11 pounds I hated carrying it plus it ate to much, a savage 111sporter barreled 223 was my mainstay rifle for a long time but recently picked up a super light variant of the nef handi rifle in 223 of course & will be using it in a takedown configuration so I can put it in my backpack between sets.

One thing my old eyes need is an illuminated reticle for late evening hunts. I have a meopta Optika5 6.5-20x50 Rd that gathers light like crazy but it's over 2lbs and sits to tall on the handi rifle so it's currently running a Walmart special $36 simmons 4x32 but plan to replace it with a 1-4 illuminated scope by the end of January.

You don't need a bull barrel benchrest rifle in a true long range caliber or 24x scope in most situations here unless you call out west where it's wide open. 99% of my kill's are under 100 yards, 50 yards being common I carry a 9mm pistol and use it often but a shotgun is pretty good for quick close dirty work
Thanks for the info! They are out of the icotec calls so I ordered up the Lucky Duck rebel from Rogers, its marked down to $99, $108 after free shipping and tax.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great write up!
I'm in the great NW where shotguns and pistols are a no go for the most part although I did take a bobcat in the snow with a .45ACP that walked under my tree stand late one season.
Buddy has the electronic caller that I go out with, but keep a mouth call in the backpack when in the deer stand if nothing is going on. I'll take a coyote even if a trophy deer is in the area.
Every time I'm in the deer blind I actually hope that a coyote shows up. They are a lot less expensive to shoot than a trophy deer. :)

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 of my parents 3 dogs got into it with something (most likely coyotes) early yesterday morning and they got tore up pretty good. They're usually pretty smart and have ran off more coyotes than they've fought with, but something didn't go their way this time. One of them (female Great Pyrenees that is a sister to ours) got her hind legs bit pretty good and dad has said she's really sore, but has gotten up and roamed around some. He had her setup in a warm dog house, but she left sometime this morning and he found her laying down out in the pasture. I'm not sure if she was leaving to go die somewhere or what. He said she didn't like it when he tried to pick her up and move her.

Might be time to lock the dogs up for a bit and go after the attackers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom