Calling Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 of my parents 3 dogs got into it with something (most likely coyotes) early yesterday morning and they got tore up pretty good. They're usually pretty smart and have ran off more coyotes than they've fought with, but something didn't go their way this time. One of them (female Great Pyrenees that is a sister to ours) got her hind legs bit pretty good and dad has said she's really sore, but has gotten up and roamed around some. He had her setup in a warm dog house, but she left sometime this morning and he found her laying down out in the pasture. I'm not sure if she was leaving to go die somewhere or what. He said she didn't like it when he tried to pick her up and move her.

Might be time to lock the dogs up for a bit and go after the attackers.
I would think a Great Pyrenees would hold its own against a group of coyotes. I wonder if the attackers were dogs.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think a Great Pyrenees would hold its own against a group of coyotes. I wonder if the attackers were dogs.
Honestly not sure. Mom and dad have a couple of Great Pyrenees and their other dog is a mixed breed. She also got injured on her head. Their biggest and oldest GP was either late to the party or they left her alone.

They haven't had dogs coming through that they know of and it's been months since they've seen any hogs. I doubt they'll ever find out what they fought with.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_20221228_173146559~2.jpg

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What electronics do y’all use, what rifle?

I’ll be using a Contender .223 and a Bluetooth speaker setup with my cell phone.
I have several mouth calls Ive used over the years. I have them strung up on a cord for a necklace. I can go from a magnum mouth call to a squeaker when you have a tough experienced dog or bobcat that just dont want to get within several hundred yards. I have had the urge to go try coyote hunting after being crippled for a few years and have finally got to getting around better. I mostly hunted in W Oklahoma and Tx Panhandle with the Ranch Hands. Loved it!

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several mouth calls Ive used over the years. I have them strung up on a cord for a necklace. I can go from a magnum mouth call to a squeaker when you have a tough experienced dog or bobcat that just dont want to get within several hundred yards. I have had the urge to go try coyote hunting after being crippled for a few years and have finally got to getting around better. I mostly hunted in W Oklahoma and Tx Panhandle with the Ranch Hands. Loved it!
I'm a hand call guy myself and almost always start a session with hand calls the biggest benefit of the e caller when alone is getting the sound away from you so a coyote doesn't spot you while calling. Most of the places I hunt is tight so they get up on you before you know it, that's why I carry a pistol along with the rifle for real close encounters

A big help in thick stuff is to carry a spray bottle with some blood meal mixed up with warm water and spray an area away from you. Especially if you have an e caller spray the ground good & set your caller by it, all the better with a decoy going. I usually spray the ground go get set up & wait 5-10 minutes before calling, I have had coyotes come in to the blood meal smell before even calling

I'll spray, go get ready fire off a 10-15 second burst from the mouth call, usually not super loud just what I think a rabbit or whatever prey I'm imitating could actually do. I'll listen and scan with my eyes for a bit if I don't think anything is coming I'll hit the e caller or if I'm just using hand calls I'll hit it again trying to sound like the animal is putting up some fight. I much prefer a grey fox distress to rabbit where I hunt but finding a hand call that sounds like a distressed fox is nearly impossible these days

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine also, its a little smaller than I thought it would be but I'm ready to go give it a try!
Lol that's what I thought when I opened it that it was smaller than expected but that's a plus really.

I'm ordering the Amazon basics rechargeable AA batteries and a good aa charger because I hear if you use the decoy and call a lot together it eats batteries pretty fast. The rechargeable pack & charger are $99 from lucky duck & I'm not paying that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol that's what I thought when I opened it that it was smaller than expected but that's a plus really.

I'm ordering the Amazon basics rechargeable AA batteries and a good aa charger because I hear if you use the decoy and call a lot together it eats batteries pretty fast. The rechargeable pack & charger are $99 from lucky duck & I'm not paying that.
May I suggest getting the lithium ion rechargeable vs the ni-MH. Reason is the lithium are 1.5 volt. The ni-MH are 1.2 volt.
When I put a set of Amazon basic ni-MH AA batteries in a game cam it shows about 3/4 of a full charge. The lithium with the higher voltage shows a full charge.
You will get longer run times with the lithium for your caller.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I suggest getting the lithium ion rechargeable vs the ni-MH. Reason is the lithium are 1.5 volt. The ni-MH are 1.2 volt.
When I put a set of Amazon basic ni-MH AA batteries in a game cam it shows about 3/4 of a full charge. The lithium with the higher voltage shows a full charge.
I'll accept that you know more than me about batteries because I don't know much at all & I will definitely take your recommendation. Appreciate the tip buddy!

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also what brand any suggestions there?

Latest posts

Top Bottom