Camo Patterns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a while back there was a thread about how effective camo was while deer hunting. many guys wrote that they wore no camo and took a deer every year. to me it would greatly depend on where you hunt, your own land where you feed the deer and know their movements, the deer know your truck, how many deer there are in the area, how much hunting pressure, tree stands or standing on the ground, etc. Guys that live on the edge of town, say they set up a feeder and see deer every day on their land and could shoot a deer from their back door. So, i guess there is a lot of variables to consider whether camo is needed or not.

I know i read about professional hunters and they said their tree stands were up about 30'. their scent starts out so hight that it drifts over deer that come in close ????? and/or any movements are so high that the deer do not notice them.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt mostly public land, and don't wear camo. I always have a chance at a nice buck, whether I kill it or not is up to me, but up to this point in my life, a lack of camo has been irrelevant. During rifle season, when you're required to wear a bright orange vest outside your clothing, do you guys honestly think camo pattern, or camo at all, makes a bit of difference when its covered up anyway?

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When bowhunting I wear MOBU scent lock coveralls because they really work. For rifle/muzz, its jeans and orange. For ducks and turkey i will go as far as to stick grass in the loops of my boonie hats to blend in.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For close range hunting its all about breaking up your outline and playing the wind. The woodland camo pattern will work just fine. Make sure you have enough cover around you to break up your outline.

For close up ground hunting nothing beats a good ghillie suit IMO.

As others have said, the camo patterns and scent control stuff are way overrated.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The new Morning Wood Pattern is catching on.
soldiersystems.net_blog1_wp_content_uploads_2008_11_morningwood.jpg

zcruse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear the old woodland camo and do fine but really the only reason I wear it was I got a steal on the pants 8 pair for $8. Before that I wore grey coveralls but I've not noticed any change in the # or quality of deer harvested. Like others have said, camo is largely unnecessary for deer hunting and more for lining the pockets of clothing companies

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed that camo isn't required for deer, but I believe in scent control. Having the does walk seven yards downwind of you in a pop up ground blind will do that... Scent-a-way, cheap in bulk and it works.

But if you're going to hunt more than deer, pick out some camo. But do the research. you can spot woodland/dark color camo from a long distance. Pick highlighting patterns or grass patterns. Earth tones.

I'll still go to bat for multicam... Ridiculous blendability... http://www.multicampattern.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom