Car problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flush radiator when your changing the housing, thermostat and cap.
7DC76898-307D-4783-A7CA-0465C0C0CEA4.jpeg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lord I hope not. I’m screwed if it’s that. I barely make it as it is. I don’t have the money to fix something like that. Unless I could do it myself.
There are radiator test kits that can tell you if you have head gasket issues. Easy to use and a quick diagnosis.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lord I hope not. I’m screwed if it’s that. I barely make it as it is. I don’t have the money to fix something like that. Unless I could do it myself.
If it was the head gasket, it would have white smoke (steam) coming out of the exhaust and coolant would be low. It would also run rough (can’t compress water) would kill the leaking cylinder. If a head gasket leaks, the water either goes in the oil or out the exhaust. Is your oil over full and milky?

Last edited:

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I forgot to mention some things. My AC does not work at the moment. It blows but it air will not get cold. I hooked a can up and it went into the red. The compressor won’t stay on. This has been this way for about three months. Also, I never let the coolant get low. I check my fluids all the time. The radiator fan was running when I was letting it sit and reviving it up. The last time I had the coolant flushed was about three or four years ago. My water pump went out and so I got it replaced. Then a seal broke and caused coolant to leak so I had that fixed. Then about two weeks later my heater hose and T broke. I had that fixed by another mechanic.

I caught my long time mechanic lying. He tried to tell me my front and rear struts were really bad and needed replaced. What he didn’t realize was I just changed them myself less than a year before this. When I told him that he knew he had screwed up. I just don’t understand why mechanics can’t just be honest. I really wish I went to school and became one. I would be great as I wouldn’t lie and rip people off. Sadly it ain’t just mechanics.

I have noticed a couple of times over the last couple years where my reservoir would be well below the line when it is cool. So I added some coolant to it to get it back up to the line.
You mentioned in #10 that your ac doesn’t work. I believe the Buick has 2 cooling fans. On comes on with ac. If fan isn’t working, the ac head pressure will be to high (as you mentioned) and high pressure switch will kick it off. Ac fan will also come on if it gets to hot. Check you fans.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mentioned in #10 that your ac doesn’t work. I believe the Buick has 2 cooling fans. On comes on with ac. If fan isn’t working, the ac head pressure will be to high (as you mentioned) and high pressure switch will kick it off. Ac fan will also come on if it gets to hot. Check you fans.
Both fans on the radiator are coming on. You know, I never want to hear money won’t make you happy again. If I had a bunch of money I wouldn’t be in this position and worried about the car having something wrong with it. Life sucks is all I know.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was the head gasket, it would have white smoke (steam) coming out of the exhaust and coolant would be low. It would also run rough (can’t compress water) would kill the leaking cylinder. If a head gasket leaks, the water either goes in the oil or out the exhaust. Is your oil over full and milky?
The oil is not over full nor milky. Sometimes the car throws a code for catalyst efficiency bank 1 and 2 being too low. Sometimes the car will cut out when I’m driving or when it’s idling. But it’s not all the time.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The oil is not over full nor milky. Sometimes the car throws a code for catalyst efficiency bank 1 and 2 being too low. Sometimes the car will cut out when I’m driving or when it’s idling. But it’s not all the time.
doesn't sound like your car is overheating. wash out the radiator and condensor from bugs at the car wash and see how much difference that makes before you start spending money. your oxygen sensors are probably failing also so plan on getting the ones that throw the code/ bank 1 or 2 etc and replace them yourself. get an o2 socket to do the job easy. don't use ethanol gas and use a gasoline that has a superior additive package for a while to clean up your valves and injectors. costco gas has the package i know. look for a sticker on the gas pump that says Top Tier on it. if the gasoline has this endorsement you are getting a detergent package that will keep your emissions etc in fine shape.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Buick enclave with about 212,000 miles. The other day I was coming home from work and when I was pulling in the garage I noticed my temperature gauge was a little over where it usually is. It’s usually right at 210. It stayed that way for just a few seconds and then it went back down. I drove it around yesterday and when I got home I let the car sit for about 20 minutes and even revved it up a bunch. It went up to about the same on the gauge and when I would rev the engine it would go back down. I hooked my scanner up and the coolant temp was around 212-217. But it never got higher than that. My coolant was a little higher than what it should be. Do y’all have any idea what it could be?
That reservoir is very low. Look for a hot fill line and add coolant to that mark. Check your oil for cloudiness on the dipstick. Some of those engines develop a minor intake manifold gasket leak leak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom