Car problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have used Cataclean and it didn’t work. I’ve used it three times in the past. I changed the catalytic converters and my O2 sensors myself about three years ago. I do smell a strong exhaust smell when the car idles. I’m keeping the car as I’ve put way too much money in it. I had the tranny rebuilt a year and a half ago. And that was $5600! Overall it has been a good car. It is mostly highway miles because my wife used to work in Norman and drove there and back 5 days a week. Now she works from home. As for the comment about the coolant being too low. It is actually over what it’s supposed to have in the reservoir. It is over the hot fill line and the cold fill line. I will try the most easy things first to see if it fixes it. Thankfully it don’t get drove hardly ever. But I still want it to work good.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small hole in converter and paint thinner way cheap. Put a cup in it, it will take a bit getting in the small hole so let it run all in. Let it sit a hour. Get ready for a chugging freight train smoke, but will clean up as it bellows out the bad **** in your converter. But it will clean converters. Cars that do inner city driving constant will clog a converter up, need to get it on the highway from time to time and get it good and hot, keeps them clean. All those short commutes is hard on a auto, affects the oil, exhaust system, brakes and transmissions.

My dad used to say blow the cobwebs out!!! lol

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Buick enclave with about 212,000 miles. The other day I was coming home from work and when I was pulling in the garage I noticed my temperature gauge was a little over where it usually is. It’s usually right at 210. It stayed that way for just a few seconds and then it went back down. I drove it around yesterday and when I got home I let the car sit for about 20 minutes and even revved it up a bunch. It went up to about the same on the gauge and when I would rev the engine it would go back down. I hooked my scanner up and the coolant temp was around 212-217. But it never got higher than that. My coolant was a little higher than what it should be. Do y’all have any idea what it could be?
It’s hot outside

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It ain't solved until you figure out what's going on. 🤷

And btw, Grumpy works at O'Reilly's now -- and until they "give" retired cops an insurance option that's how it's gotta be -- and there ain't nothing cheap about fixing a car these days. Prices haven't gone up just on groceries. A decent pair of windshield wipers will cost you $70 ... Yep you read that right $35.00 EACH ... And you still have to put them on yourself.

I'd say maybe you should be grateful that you know enough about mechanic-ing (and have a bunch of old guys here willing to help you brainstorm) to maybe not have to go to a shop.

You know, the glass is always half empty or half full and that depends on the person looking at the glass. Nothing more, nothing less. Some of you guys take way too much delight in being miserable. 🙄
I am very thankful for the people on here. They have helped me a lot in the past. Great bunch of guys and gals here. You are 100% right about prices. I was driving to work a few days ago and it was raining and I turned my wipers on and my drivers side wiper blade flew off! So I went to O’Reilley’s after work and got a pair of Rain X blades (it’s what I have gotten for years) and it was about $82!! I about had a heart attack. When the guy was showing me the ones they had and how much they were I was thinking it was showing the price for a pair. Nope!! It was for one. They were about $37 a piece! They work great though and usually last a long time. Still ridiculous though. Prices have gotten so high on so much it’s hard to make it. I am thankful to God that I have the parents and sister I do. They have helped my family a lot.

On a side note, I cannot believe your husband doesn’t have insurance! I thought cops got insurance with their pensions. Apparently I was wrong. That is flat out pathetic. That needs to change and change ASAP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom