Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.peakmechanical.com/mine truck.html
awww.peakmechanical.com_images_bed4.gif

You can have your Cummins and a Taco too...

Now, I LIKE that!

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2008/05/28/45l-diesel-tundra-confirmed-bigger-diesel-coming/
4.5L Diesel Tundra Confirmed, Bigger Diesel Coming?

Jason | May 28, 2008 | Comments 7

Update: Read the complete story of the diesel Tundra

According to Edmunds.com, the Tundra will be offered with a 4.5L diesel V8 for the 2010 model year. While we predicted a diesel for the 2010 model Toyota Tundra a few months ago, Edmunds.com has offered a couple of new points. First, the 4.5L diesel currently being used in the Aussie Land Cruiser is being adapted to the Tundra. We’ve since confirmed this with a couple of Toyota sources we have. Second, Toyota is also planning a larger diesel for an HD version of the Tundra, possibly due out in 2011.

The 4.5L diesel found in the Australian LandCruiser 200

We’ve confirmed that the 4.5L diesel twin-turbo found in the Australian LandCruiser 200 is the basis for the 2010 Tundra Diesel.

The 4.5L found in the Australian LandCruiser features twin turbos, dual overhead cams, and it’s rated at 286hp (at 3,400 RPM) and 480 lb-ft of torque (at 1,600 RPM). While these ratings are impressive, it’s difficult to imagine Toyota marketing a diesel engine with less than 300hp, and 500lb-ft of torque should be readily attainable with an engine this size. Having said that, U.S. emissions requirements may reduce power below these ratings and estimates.

The speculation surrounding a larger 7.0L diesel is interesting. First of all, the likelihood of Toyota developing a true HD version of the Tundra (aka 3/4 ton and 1 ton) is high, but it’s far from certain. If some states (like California and New York) have their way and create their own emissions regulations, we can probably kiss the HD variant of the Tundra goodbye. It would be simply too complicated to try to produce a new diesel in these market conditions. Second, the rumored 7.0L diesel would be a brand-new engine. Considering the development costs involved with building a new engine from the ground-up, it’s difficult to imagine Toyota making the investment in this market. Uncertainty surrounding pickup truck demand (due to higher fuel prices), as well as stiff competition from Ford and GM, may discourage Toyota from developing an HD Tundra – at least until the market stabilizes.
YouTube Preview Image

Here’s a Toyota produced video of the 4.5L diesel.

As far as fuel economy is concerned, only the “light duty” 4.5L diesel will be subject to fuel economy testing – a larger heavy duty diesel will probably be exempt from fuel economy testing (as is the case the HD offerings from Ford, Chrysler, and GM). The initial estimates for 4.5L diesel fuel economy hover around 22mpg, but it’s too soon to say for certain. Many changes will be made to the Australian version of this engine to make it compliant with US emission regulations.

Finally, pricing information is unknown. Normally, however, diesel engines run $5k to $6k more than similarly-sized gas engines. This price range will most likely mean that the 4.5L diesel will only be available in the Doublecab and CrewMax versions of the Tundra, where the price point is easier to absorb. That means a 2010 Tundra CrewMax Limited 4×4 Diesel could reach as high as $50,000! Quite a bit of money, but definitely within the realm of possibility for a lot of consumers.

Our Toyota source has told us that the difficulty with the new Tundra diesel is balancing power output with emissions – making a powerful engine that’s also fuel efficient. Ultimately, this may delay the engine. In the mean time, the objective is to debut the engine in 2009 as a 2010 model. This matches the timetable announced by Ford for it’s 4.4L diesel. We can’t wait to find out what the final result is – we’ll keep you posted as we learn more.

Coming up – Inside The 4.5L Diesel – an article all about the 4.5L twin turbo diesel currently being sold in Australia.
Sounds good, but this info is from 2008, so who knows when.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My answer is based on who took the bailout money and who didnt need it. Sure the one who didnt need it because they had just restructured to save themselves from bankruptcy a couple years earlier, but they still didnt need govt money.

That and I think their trucks are the tits.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this thread was not started with the heavy pullers in mind, and although I had to throw in my F450, are the foreign jobs ever going to get into the heavier market? It looks like these articles concerning the diesels for the foreigns are primarily talking about the 1/2 ton trucks, with one small reference to a "HD 1/2 ton. The last article seemed to hint of larger trucks, but still leaves one with the idea that they won't.

Until they get into the 350/3500 series and up, they would never be a consideration for me because of the heavy fifth wheel that I tow. I also agree with Bruno2 about the trucks for the livestock shows. We have a friend who is heavy into horses, raising and training race horses (both thouroughbred and quarter horses) as well as riding competitively in Dressage and Hunter/Jumper classes. She told us much the same as Bruno said as to the who made the majority of the trucks for hauling horses. And, if I remember right, that was after the Duramax.

One of the biggest things I remember for the Ford F series trucks is that they have been the top seller in the U.S. for over 30 years. While not a comparison with most "consumer" trucks, the 2008 F450 that I have is rated heavier than both GM and Dodge in the same categories. In fact, you have to get into the "commercial" categories for a GM to equal the F450.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an 01 Tundra and it was the sweetest, most refined truck I've ever driven. The engine was smooth as silk and my wife called it a Lexus with a bed. Unfortunately, the new Tundra is way more truck than I need. I'd really like to see them offer a V8 in the Taco like they have in the 4Runner. That's a truck I'd buy in a heartbeat!

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Who are the .gov fighting with about a TD powerplant?
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6543162/the-general-forum/toyota-tundra-diesel-confirmed/index.html
http://www.auto-insight.us/2010/07/27/2012-toyota-tacoma-diesel/
2012 toyota tacoma diesel

Toyota is making final preparations to start production of the 2011 Tacoma midsize pickup at its new home in San Antonio. Here’s a first look at the latest Tacoma, which features a new grille for all models.

For the past few weeks, Toyota has been building preproduction Tacomas to check assembly processes and quality. The trucks shown here are part of the last pilot batch.

Tacoma production was moved to Texas after Toyota ended operations at the New United Motor Manufacturing plant in Northern California, where Toyota had built small trucks for the U.S. since 1991. The Tacoma will be built alongside the Toyota Tundra at the Texas plant.Toyota’s flexible manufacturing process allows Tundras and Tacomas to roll down the line back-to-back if necessary to meet manufacturing demand, said Craig Mullenbach, manager of external affairs at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas.

The 2011 Tacoma sports a revised grille that collapses the previous two-bar style to a single bar. While some models receive bare plastic grilles, others, like the sporty X-Runner, will have body-colored grilles.

Production of the 2011 Tacoma starts Monday, and the first Tacomas could find their way to Toyota dealerships as early as the end of this month.

Article Source:news.pickuptrucks.com
[Broken External Image]

The gov has been fighting with the imports all along . That is why we are starting to see them buying property and opening plants up here in the US. The import tarrifs were targeted mostly at the trucks. The gov . would only let so many truck motors come into the country at a time. The tariffs imposed additional taxes on the trucks and penalized them after bringing so many in . This is why only since the plants were opened up here that we are seeing so many more Toyota trucks on the road. The p/u truck was the only thing keeping the Americans in business. Nobody wants their cars unless they are the gas hogging muscle cars. This trend is dated also . The generation that grew up with hot rods is getting up in their yrs and the younger gen doesnt so much care for them.

The Americans have the lock up on heavy p/u's right now b/c of the restrictions placed against the imports.I am sure that if Toyota is agreeing to build the trucks and engines here they will be going into production . This is going to be bad for Chevy, real bad.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Funny, it seems most of the Chevy praise is geared towards parts availability.:buttkick:

I have owned different big 3 vehicles and always end up back with a Ford. They may not be all pretty, but it is difficult to tear one up. Chevy is an urban transport and Dodges have reliability issues.

I know that is always the clincher for the Chevy guys. I guess they think that they all need readily available parts . The other thing you will always here the Gm guys talking about is how easy they are to work on. These things are very important if the cars and trucks you are buying were built with cheap unreliable parts. The thing I have noticed about Gm over the yrs is that you can upgrade whatever factory parts that break with just about anything at O'Reilly's or Advanced. Its the oher way around with the others. The factory parts are better than the after market stuff.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they are all good, and all crap at the same time.

We have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado, extended cab. I hate it. If I drive it more than a few hours, my neck and shoulder are wrecked for a few days. Probably not the trucks fault. Probably too many motorcycle wrecks. If it was a V8 (it's a very weak V6), if it wasn't an automatic (I just don't like automatics), and if it wasn't a tractionless, open carrier rear end, I might like it. It's the most reliable vehicle we own. I never work on it. I didn't pick it out. I have had other Chevys over the years, and they were good trucks/cars.

I have only had a handful of Fords, including three Pintos. I love Pintos. Fords are okay with me.

My first car was a Dodge. The Bluesmobile. I loved it, and would gladly pay to have it back. I am fond of Dodge.

My favorite is not on your list. It is Jeep. No no, not Chrysler Jeeps, which I'm sure are great. I am talking about the ULTIMATE underdog, AMC. I work on it often, but seldom complain. It is rusty, rattley, and a very rough ride. I love it. So there is my answer. AMC. Just ask Mad Max.

LOL, oh man I appreciate your reasoning and the basis for it. Unfortunately the engine in Mad Max's car was a Chevy with a Weiand blower. Looked to be a 871 which makes me think big block(big $$$, little improvement).

Do and drive what you love. If it were your SHTF vehicle, at least you know your way around it:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom