Civil Immunity After Shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might be like in OJ's case...after he was charged & prosecuted... he was found 'Not Guilty'.. not 'Innocent'! That is how the Goldman family was able to sue him.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It might be like in OJ's case...after he was charged & prosecuted... he was found 'Not Guilty'.. not 'Innocent'! That is how the Goldman family was able to sue him.
This is what I worried about the first time I looked at out immunity protection regarding self-defense. You get the wrong cop or the wrong D.A. and even if innocent the protection the law was meant to provide is gone.

Michael

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, even if found innocent you have already lost your immunity as soon as you are arrested?

Michael

The immunity returns once (a) an officer determines there is no longer probable cause (b) when a court determines there is no loner probable cause. Probablencause is what get s a defendant in front of a trier of fact to make determinations of fact. Take zimmerman, he was arrested right after the shooting, because he admitted to shooting somebody. After four hours the police determined that at the time it appeared to be self defense, and no longer had probable cause for continued detainment. Now after an investigation probable cause has returned, arrest and prosecution followed, albeit it is very thin...

F

fredkrueger

The difference in OJ's trial what we are talking about is very different to me. In his he wasn't protected by Castle Doctrine like we are. His was a totally different thing. If I shoot someone and go to court and get found "not guilty" I would think that under part of the Castle Doctrine that I wouldn't be able to be sued. I thought that is what that was for? But I am no expert on it nor am I trying to sound like one. But I do like all the comments that are being made. They are really something to think about.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind when talking about the OJ Simpson case, is that he did not claim self-defense; he claimed that he did not do it, period. The Castle Doctrine, unless I am mistaken, only comes into play when a claim of self-defense is made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom