Conflicted.... Card #40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and your best friend leave your families at the retreat to go investigate an early detection warning on the outskirts of your property. You have a negligent discharge and a .308 round goes through your friend's head, exploding it on exit. Do you tell your best friend's wife and kids that you killed him or do you create a story about getting ambushed? Why do you choose the decision you make?

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine this happening but assuming it did, I'm not going to lie about it. Family needs to know the truth about how their loved one was taken from them.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm usually a pretty black and white kinda gal when it comes to telling the truth. So much so that it gets me in trouble a lot of the time ... :lookaroun

BUT ... given that we are assuming things are SO BAD that we've devolved into living in groups and obviously not going to regular jobs, I'm gonna say "Lie like a dog".

I keep hearing from everyone how being in a group is the only way to survive an extended SHTF situation ... do you want to risk fracturing the group? Telling the truth isn't gonna bring him back. Telling the truth could very well destroy your group ...

All that said, like okie I cannot imagine that happening with me. I've lost a friend to a negligent discharge ... makes you hyper-sensitive ...

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thinking is that I would likely be asked to leave the group or that I may choose to leave the group on my own. I can't imagine having to look into that families eyes day after day.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thinking is that I would likely be asked to leave the group or that I may choose to leave the group on my own. I can't imagine having to look into that families eyes day after day.

That would be my problem ... I just don't know how I could see them every day knowing their pain was my fault. My comments and thoughts were aimed strictly at holding the group together. If things are so bad that you are living in groups I would think that my personal feelings about honesty and truth, and guilt, should be set aside for the benefit of the group ...

Yet ONE MORE REASON I'd really rather just avoid finding myself in a group situation to start with.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to tell the truth. In a group situation like that, one of the basic ideas is being able to trust your partners. I need to know that you're telling me the truth, and that I can trust what you say. The opposite holds true as well. You need to know that you can trust that I'm always telling you the truth.

Yeah, facing her would suck, majorly. But them's the breaks. How does the saying go? "The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching." I'd add "or when no one else knows the truth."

I understand why you'd lie about it. But consider what might happen if your lie is ever found out? Doesn't matter how unlikely it is. What happens when it is?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would really depend on a few things.

Was my friend's name Otis?
If so, then I'd say it was destined to happen.

Was my friend's name Duedah?
Then I would tell the truth, but in a song:

Some one got killed in the woods today,
Duedah, duedah

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom