Considering a 6.5x55 Swede Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on my phone doosh. I tried google images but edge is too slow.

My neterwebz is down.

Fail you did. Weak your google fu is!!!

Don't blame me for your junk not working.

Edit: So you will quit whinning :P

9.3x62, .30-06 Springfield, 8x57 IS, 6.5x55, .308 Winchester
[Broken External Image]

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hah, the Swede is probably 75-100fps faster when the rounds are loaded to similar pressures. If you believe the case capacity difference doesn't mean anything you're fooling yourself.

More accurate? lmao. How would either round be inherently more or less accurate?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hah, the Swede is probably 75-100fps faster when the rounds are loaded to similar pressures. If you believe the case capacity difference doesn't mean anything you're fooling yourself.

More accurate? lmao. How would either round be inherently more or less accurate?

Physics tells us that, when bore size, bullet weight, barrel length and pressure are constant, velocity increases at 1/4 the percentage of increase in case capacity.

According to Norma, there is a 5% difference in case capacity between the 260 and the 6.5x55.

Using the formula above, you can expect a 1.25% increase in velocity when both cartridges run the same bullet at the same pressure, in other words, there is NO WAY you can gain 75 fps at the same pressure.....period! If you think you can, YOU are fooling yourself.

Even if the 6.5x55 was 100 fps faster, that hardly qualifies as "spanking" the 260. Run the ballistics yourself, using a 140 grain Sierra Matchking and a starting velocity of 2750 fps, then increase the velocity to 2850 fps, the difference in drop at 500 yards is only 4.5 inches....that's less than one minute of angle difference in trajectory and that is relatively insignificant in long range shooting.

If it is increased velocity you are after, the 6.5x284 and the 6.5-06 are both faster than the 260 and the 6.5x55.

I never said one was inherently more accurate, I said the 6.5x55 was neither faster nor more accurate than the 260. Lots of folks using the 260 for long range competition, the 6.5x55? not so much, if that tells you anything. Accuracy is more a function of the rifle build and the bullet rather than the cartridge case.

By the way, I have owned 3 rifles chambered in 6.5x55, still have 2 of them.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't currently own a 260 and I don't keep chronograph data on the 6.5x55 rifles because the only shooting I do with them is informal steel silhouette shooting out to 500 meters (open sights) and plinking. For that use, I don't care how fast the load is. I am currently shooting 35 grains of IMR 4064 and a 140 grain bullet, a very mild but accurate load in my rifles.

However, I do have extensive chronograph data for several 243s, a 25x308 (25 Souper, yes, Souper), half a dozen 7-08s and several 308s. There just isn't much difference in the behavior of a .264" bullet and a .284" bullet when launched from the same parent case.

How about you, what does your chronograph say for your 260 and 6.5x55 loads and what type of pressure strain gauge are you using to determine that you are getting 75-100 fps increase at the same pressure??

Latest posts

Top Bottom