Considering a 6.5x55 Swede Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lapua makes 6.5x55 brass. They do not make 260 or 6.5-06. 6.5-284 is on the table, but I also like the option of being able to buy factory 6.5 swede pretty easily and barrel life starts becoming a concern.

also, Lapua 6.5 Swede brass is $40 less per hundred than 6.5-284.

This is not going to be a hunting rifle. A couple thousand rounds a year isn't a stretch when we can and regularly do shoot a couple hundred in one range trip.

Reaction score
Ok, yeah, duly noted (again) ... and that reminds me -- forgot to mention that, although you have a great choice in 6.5x55, in my opinion, yes even for a hardcore precision custom build as you describe, you were mistaken in your assumption or statement that there's not "good" brass available for .260 Rem:

Norma http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1311190025

Nosler http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=452615

Not Lapua, no. But "good", yes. At least in my understanding.

but 260 brass only comes from Remington and is junk by most accounts

And you're absolutely right about the bbl life issue, since you are definitely one of those hardcore guys, sounds like, shooting hundreds per session. :eek: In that case, 6.5x55 is about the max you'd want to go, loading them to nearly full capability - it's just about perfect in fact loaded to the saami standard loadings - best of all worlds - not too much throat erosion, and really low pressure. Only a scrunthair more powder cost than .260.

And I've become a disbeliever in "inherent accuracy" of a cartridge - so don't let anyone tell you that .260 is gonna be more accurate necessarily, than a 6.5x55 build, due to the shorter case/fat short powder column, yada yada.

Oh yeah, and obviously, shooting those kinds of numbers, you're gonna want to consider that brass cost, as you mention - not telling you really anything you don't already know - just spouting off some basic stuff for other folks, as there was a bit of confusion -- or lack of complete info early on in the thread - I couldn't reply as I was banned for a week. :rolleyes:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The nosler and norma brass is OK, but most people still seem to go with necked up or down lapua brass. I don't know if it is because it is that much better or if they just like Lapua brass.

The Nosler and Norma brass is also $40 per hundred higher than the Lapua Swede and even 308 brass.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 7 WSM will go in a short action and the Swede needs a long action. If you are ok with a LA then the Swede will be the bee's knees! I see no problem with a 6.5 Swede built right and loaded properly shooting amazing groups at 600+.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to say again, I have a friend with a 6..5 x 55 AI that is very good, shoots it in 1000 yd competition. I too love the 6.5 x 55 even though mine is just an old military.

Latest posts

Top Bottom